• Gunn's future

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by wafer

Note: If this is too off topic for this forum, let me know and I can email it.

Mr. Norman:

Below is from the FAS.org website. To summarize, Committee chairman can refer specifics of bills to subcommittees. These subcommittees then decide whether and how a bill proceeds (as writted, modified, totally changed or end of story).

How a Bill Becomes a Law

In order for a measure to become law, both houses of Congress must pass identical versions of a bill, and the President must sign it. Only Members of Congress may introduce bills, but many are drafted by lobbyists or by the administration and introduced on their behalf.

When a bill is introduced, it is given an identifying number, beginning with S. in the Senate or H.R. in the House. Unless a bill is immediately considered by an entire chamber (called a floor vote), the bill is sent (referred) to one or more relevant congressional committees for review. Referral is usually routine and is based principally on committee jurisdiction. Committee chairmen often refer a bill to one or more relevant subcommittees.

Subcommittees and full committees may approve or reject a bill by vote, or simply do nothing. Bills that are approved (reported out) can leave subcommittee/ committee in their original form or in amended form, or the committee may totally rewrite the bill. Amending (or marking up) a bill allows members of the subcommittee/ committee and their staff to bring their expertise and special interests to the bill.

Once all relevant subcommittees/ committees have considered and approved a bill, it moves to the floor for consideration and amendment by the entire chamber. The rules for consideration of a bill on the floor (such as length of debate and number of amendments that can be offered) are determined by the Rules Committee in the House. In the Senate, anything goes.

When a bill clears one house, it is referred to the other, and the process is repeated. If the House and Senate versions of a bill differ (which they usually do on major legislation), those differences must be resolved in a conference committee, consisting of select members from both parties of the House and Senate committees responsible for the particular bill at hand.

After both chambers have passed identical versions of a bill, it goes to the President, who may sign the bill, veto it or do nothing, in which case the bill becomes law after ten days. A pocket veto occurs when the president withholds approval until the current session of Congress adjourns.

If the legislature does not pass a bill before the end of the two-year Congress in which it was introduced, the bill dies and must be re-introduced in the next Congress.

by Peter E

In both the House and Senate subcommittees can be very powerful based on the personalities who sit on them. These folks in turn influence the committee as a whole.

Frankly, I don't see Istook in 2008. He's damaged goods and as I said earlier viewed by many as too extreme even for the Tories in the GOP. Istook seems to have inherited the mantle worn by former CA. Rep. Bob Dorian. Like B-1 Bob he grabs headlines on issues like "gender neutral" (I like that term) marriage, school prayer, but little else. Under normal circumstance our Ernest would be good for a laugh, but as a Subcommittee Chair his actions bear close watching if we are serious about Amtrak funding.