• Rohr Turbo liner move

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by jp1822

Ah- thanks for clarifying. Aside from the "fourth train set" what is the state of the remaining three trainsets that were not completed?

My understanding was that 7 train sets were to be refurbished. Then Amtrak or NYDOT decided to just restore/refurbish just 4 trainsets with the possibility of additional refurbs on coaches to augment the 4 trainsets (rather than totally completing the remaining 3 train sets).

by johnpbarlow

In a victory for New York DOT the court has determined Amtrak has Illegaly removed the rebuilt Turbo's from New Yoirk state.
The court issued a deadline to have the Turbo's returned to Renselear Shop by midnight tomorrow evening.
After preperation of the 3 sets today the units will be moved as requested by the court..
Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black said he is disapointed in the courts decision but Amtrak will not appeal.
Maybe we're getting a head start on an April Fools joke? If so, wouldn't it make more sense to extend Acela service to upstate New York?

;-)

by MudLake

If (and yes, this is a big 'if') the Turbos see revenue service again, would it make sense for them to be first used on a reconstituted Rennselear - New York nonstop service? This would cut down on the stop/start handicap that they are under and would also help isolate possible maintenance issues to an area of service that Amtrak could get to them quickly.

I also think putting them on for a limited trial basis will help gauge customer reaction in a low-risk setting.

by Hudson Terminus

I'm starting to think this thread has "April Fools" written all over it.
  by hsr_fan

jp1822 wrote:Ah- thanks for clarifying. Aside from the "fourth train set" what is the state of the remaining three trainsets that were not completed?

My understanding was that 7 train sets were to be refurbished. Then Amtrak or NYDOT decided to just restore/refurbish just 4 trainsets with the possibility of additional refurbs on coaches to augment the 4 trainsets (rather than totally completing the remaining 3 train sets).
The seventh and final set to be refurbished was to be the "RTL II" that had been rebuilt in the mid 1990's. Work never started on that one. All of the rest were in various stages of completion at Super Steel. Here are some photos:

Spied outside of Super Steel

by DutchRailnut

Ok I admit the tread was posted as April fools.

One reason the 4 unit with extra coach would be a doubtfull operation is the powercars including HEP would no longer have the advantage of having gotten bigger turbines to gain acceleration.
The Turbo's with only one power truck per powercar are to light footed to pull much extra weight without having wheelslip and no giddy up and go power.

So sorry guys for getting hope up but in Delaware they rest in peace.

by hsr_fan

Well, at least I wasn't out there trying to catch a glimpse of one!

by peak-layover

Dutch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why the hell did I believe you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't actually go out yet.

You jumped the gun. I actually believed you.

by DutchRailnut

If it were not for Mr Barlow and Hudson Terminus having such big mouths and ruining the joke, there would have been a Bulletin posted at later hour.
What good is April fools joke if you got a bad humor man in audience.

by Hudson Terminus

Kudos to the author...I bought it for a while. Well done.

by Greg Moore

DutchRailnut wrote:If it were not for Mr Barlow and Hudson Terminus having such big mouths and ruining the joke, there would have been a Bulletin posted at later hour.
Well to be fair, you did post it a day early.

by DutchRailnut

Well trains that have been stored this long can't just start moving they need preperation, just like the story, even newspapers have to publish april fools events on day before to get people there right.
I figured HST rail to be in a puptent camping out next to NEC or Hudson line ;-)

by johnpbarlow

If it were not for Mr Barlow and Hudson Terminus having such big mouths and ruining the joke, there would have been a Bulletin posted at later hour.
First you sent me a private email complaining about my ruining your fun by challenging your clever hoax in my posting (which I thought I did in good fun). And even after I replied to you via email giving you credit for a well executed, effective canard, you still seem to be upset and have now resorted to public whining. April's Fools day is about telling jokes - maybe you are taking this just a little too seriously?

by DutchRailnut

I just explained WHY I revealed the story as Joke, and yes nobody likes anyone who yells out punch line when you tell a joke either.

by Otto Vondrak

And on that note...

"Say goodnight, Gracie."

-otto-