Railroad Forums 

• Rohr Turbo liner move

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#381252  by DutchRailnut

In a victory for New York DOT the court has determined Amtrak has Illegaly removed the rebuilt Turbo's from New Yoirk state.
The court issued a deadline to have the Turbo's returned to Renselear Shop by midnight tomorrow evening.
After preperation of the 3 sets today the units will be moved as requested by the court..
Amtrak spokesman Cliff Black said he is disapointed in the courts decision but Amtrak will not appeal.

#381259  by peak-layover

Everyone on the NEC and Hudson keep your eyes peeled.

Its Turbo Time!!!!

Quick question, are the turbos dual-mode? just wondering.

How is Amtrak going to move these trains? Towing them or by their own power. And how many sets are there.

#381260  by DutchRailnut

Yes turbo liners are Dual mode but after storage in Bear for a few years they are not in condition or legal to be moved by themself.
The Inspection dates have long expired.

#381267  by peak-layover

So I guess that means they're being towed. Depending on how many sets there are, I'm guessing that means there will be a turbo-convoy on the NEC/Empire. Somebody's going to have a great time this weekend. I'll be stalking the Hudson tomorrow. I suggest y'all get out there with your cameras because this will be the best Turbo photo session in years, rain or shine.

#381270  by scotty269

Whats a turbo? Anyone have a picture?

#381271  by Gilbert B Norman

xx (withdrawn by author)
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#381272  by Gilbert B Norman

xx
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#381280  by peak-layover

Whichever party actually holds title to the Turbos is meaningless; NY State clearly has more invested in them than does Amtrak. However, this "liberation" hardly means they are about to see revenue service on Amtrak or any other passenger carrier other than perhaps a museum's line.
I agree, but it is progress. Do I really want to ride one. Based on what all of you are telling me, once, for the experience, then I can complain about the air conditioning. I say tonight and tomorrow will be awesome. Then we can all go to Albany to see them.

Does Albany have room for (I won't ask the number again) all of these sets.

Just to point out, the turbo has three and two half cars with 1/4 less seats per car. Empire service is at least 5 amfleets. I think nowadays this could make things tight.

#381294  by SimplySam

Although it would be a nice photo op tomorrow to see them "running" along the Hudson, somehow I don't think changing the location of their storage is going to have much real impact on their future... or lack there of.

(perhaps I am wrong and all the legal, technical, and operational hurdles will be overcome and they will be returned to service. While I will not fall on my knees in prayer if this happens, I would be probably motived to journey to ALB and buy a ticket..see that extra revenue pouring in to help cover their rehabilitation!!!)

To all those for whom seeing a Turbo running under its own power carrying paying passengers would be a life changing experience, I am pullling for you. Truly.

#381300  by Hudson Terminus

I happen to be in Poughkeepsie for the next few days, so this news is pretty fun for me. I just hope our friends southward can give a little advanced warning!
 #381309  by amtrakhogger

This will mean that our KN/KP crews are going to be busy.

#381360  by hsr_fan

Interesting! I'd love to see 'em come through, but I don't think I'll be able to spend the rest of the weekend along the tracks waiting. Hope someone manages to snap a few photos...

#381452  by Noel Weaver

They will put these things away somewhere around Rensselaer and maybe
the local "urchins" will get to them and finally finish them off. I think they
would be better off in Bear.
I agree, "The Fleecing of America", what a waste of money.
Noel Weaver
 #381465  by jp1822

Regarding the capacity issue of the turbos - they would certainly fit on some Empire Schedules without a problem, or perhaps augment the current schedule. But NY State should also give a subsidy to Amtrak for operating the turbos, let alone restoring what can be restored to service.

I thought Amtrak/NYDOT had at least 4 turboliner trainsets, after considering a downsize from the promised 7 turboliners when production/refurbishment was stopped? There was even a discussion on adding coaches (rather than restoring power cars) to the remaining 4 train sets - out of the remaining three train sets that would not be fully restored/refurbished.

Additionally, regarding Amtrak running "five" Amfleets on the Empire Corridor between NYP and Albany - were all five Amfleets high density coaches? I have been on several train sets where at least two of the five coaches were high density coaches (i.e. former Amfleet Metroliner cars or NEC business class cars) AND business class was also being offered (and these were not trains running beyond Albany). I think Amtrak should really evaluate the Amfleet equipment on the Empire Service trains. Some of the coaches are low density (former Amfleet Metronliner cars or former NEC business class cars), while some are high density. The low density coaches would be better off on trains continuing north or west of Albany, while low density coaches operate the NYP-ALB route.

The Adirondack for at least the past year, as an example, has been stuck with high density coaches on its run long from NYP to upstate NY and on to Montreal. The Adirondack is New York's only state supported train!

They also still have refurbished cafe cars - with 1/2 table seating and 1/2 business class seating - while no food service is offered running on Empire Corridor trains NYP to Albany. Should these cars be switched out for a regular full business class coach? The Adirondack would be a train that would be perfect with such a cafe car and to at least offer business class!
 #381470  by hsr_fan

jp1822 wrote:I thought Amtrak/NYDOT had at least 4 turboliner trainsets, after considering a downsize from the promised 7 turboliners when production/refurbishment was stopped? There was even a discussion on adding coaches (rather than restoring power cars) to the remaining 4 train sets - out of the remaining three train sets that would not be fully restored/refurbished.
The fourth set was never delivered to Amtrak but is reportedly 90% complete or so.