• Basic locomotive brakes

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by clearblock

As I said, I have no experience with a blended braking system, but I don't see how it can work as described.

I don't understand how there can be a constant linear relationship between automatic brake pipe reduction and dynamic brake "notch" that would not vary with the consist, grade and other conditions.

Dynamic brakes decrease in effectiveness as speed decreases and essentially have a low speed point at which they become ineffective. There seems to be no speed correlation involved in the system described.

Dynamic brakes and how to use them properly are a complex subject and I think aji-tater was wise not to muddy up his description by going into more detail.

As has been discussed here, it is desired in many cases to inhibit (bail off) locomotive braking during an automatic application to keep slack stretched and avoid rough handling. I think that having dynamics tied to the automatic would be undesirable most of the time.

Maybe I can understand a limited application for this technology in some commuter operations with fixed consists on level track. It still would seem like it would cause more possible problems with rough train handling that it would help.

Are there any engineers out there that have run with a blended system like this to tell me what I may be misunderstanding about why you would want to use it?

by ExEMDLOCOTester

When we dynamically tested it, (on our shift) we coupled up to an SD 40-2 and pulled the F-40PH down the test track. We had a chart to follow, speed, brake pipe reduction, and expected braking current. What it did on the road, I have no idea!
I hope a road Engineer with BB experience responds...

by c604.

What I've seen guys do to nullify the blended brake feature when they don't want it is to either pull the throttle out to anything other than idle or bail off on the independent. Blended brakes have a feature that compensates for the diminishing effect of the dynamic brakes at very low speeds by automatically raising the locomotive brake cylinder pressure to make up for the loss of dynamic braking effort. Sometimes it overcompensates resulting in some pretty rough stops.