• CMRR to cross Route 28 in Mount Pleasant

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by railtrailbiker

For more than 25 years, the only traffic on the railroad tracks in Mount Pleasant has been the constant flow of cars and trucks rolling along state Route 28 and crossing them.

But by the end of the summer, residents in this Shandaken hamlet will again hear the rumble of trains crossing the highway, as an at-grade crossing will be built there next week, more than doubling the length of the scenic ride offered by the Catskill Mountain Railroad.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.c ... 4958&rfi=6

by Otto Vondrak

Has anyone heard or seen progress on this new crossing installation/ restoration?

-otto-

by Spro

The Crossing is in. In places along RT 28, there are patchs of weeds cut down and you can see new ballest. There are no gates or signs as of yet on the crossing.

by Otto Vondrak

Great news. I hope that CMRR can possibly open the line for July 10's activities!

-otto-
  by uwrail

Without the arms and there are piles and piles of Ballast in the parking lot. Looks like they are getting close.

by thebigham

Any updates?

Chris

by Spro

The Gates are up are ready to go.

by Otto Vondrak

Crossing gates, flashers, and relay cabinet are installed... contractor continues to work on track and will probably be September before trains roll (I have no official word on this, it's only my guess).

-otto-

by Otto Vondrak

The boom crane and flatcar are indeed owned by CMRR, and they are stored in West Hurley along Route 28... the equipment is used to cut rbsuh and keep that portion of the ROW open. The crane is self-propelled.

That green shanty was salvaged from Kingston Yard about 20 years ago. I forget what someone told me it was once used for, but Conrail donated it to CMRR if they would remove it from the property. I think CMRR uses it as a storage shed.

-otto-