• RDG FP-7's--Latest Word

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by geep39

Reading FP-7 902, owned by the Lancaster Chapter, NRHS has been donated to the Reading Company Technical & Historical Society. In a vote by the membership, the decision was to donate the unit, since the climate to operate the unit on excursions has become rather "hostile", and it was becoming a drain on the Chapter's finances. Nice to see that the chapter had the wisdom to donate it to a group that is preserving other Reading locos. I wouldn't want to even think about the alternative.

by Franklin Gowen

Thanks for the tip! Thru what means did you hear of this sad news?

How does this impact the continued operation of Philadelphia Chapter's companion FP7A, #903?

In its effort to jump clear of financial entanglements, Lancaster has kicked out the bottom of the barrel that they were sharing with Philadelphia. I don't see that as anything but a negative development for future excursion possibilities. OTOH, I do understand the Lancaster chapter's stance. Whether running or sitting still, both units need TLC, which costs money.

Have 902 & 903 operated *any* passenger excursions at all since the Strasburg trip in September, 2001?

What about another trip over SEPTA ex-Reading trackage, such as the June, 2000 trip to celebrate the diesels' 50th anniversary of their arrival on the Reading?

I won't bother entertaining the idea of operating over NS or CSX.

by metman499

I wouldn't say this is a necessary negative move. As you say the possibility of any trips over the Class 1s is limited and the R&N has been a willing participant in trips, especially those run by the RT&HS, in the past.

by geep39

I purposely left out 903, because things are not finalized yet.
Word from attendees at the Phila Chapter's meeting was that "they wanted to keep the two engines together". I suspect, at the very least, the two locos will stay together under RCT&HS auspices. Nothing more to say until a deal is worked out.

by jfrey40535

For the past few years, the Philly-Strasburg trip has been planned, then called off. There's been a noticeable lack of fantrips/excursions here in Philly for quite some time now. The last big one I can think of was the DVARP trip to Reading.