Railroad Forums 

• RDG FP-7's--Latest Word

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#353605  by geep39

Reading FP-7 902, owned by the Lancaster Chapter, NRHS has been donated to the Reading Company Technical & Historical Society. In a vote by the membership, the decision was to donate the unit, since the climate to operate the unit on excursions has become rather "hostile", and it was becoming a drain on the Chapter's finances. Nice to see that the chapter had the wisdom to donate it to a group that is preserving other Reading locos. I wouldn't want to even think about the alternative.

#353612  by Franklin Gowen

Thanks for the tip! Thru what means did you hear of this sad news?

How does this impact the continued operation of Philadelphia Chapter's companion FP7A, #903?

In its effort to jump clear of financial entanglements, Lancaster has kicked out the bottom of the barrel that they were sharing with Philadelphia. I don't see that as anything but a negative development for future excursion possibilities. OTOH, I do understand the Lancaster chapter's stance. Whether running or sitting still, both units need TLC, which costs money.

Have 902 & 903 operated *any* passenger excursions at all since the Strasburg trip in September, 2001?

What about another trip over SEPTA ex-Reading trackage, such as the June, 2000 trip to celebrate the diesels' 50th anniversary of their arrival on the Reading?

I won't bother entertaining the idea of operating over NS or CSX.

#353636  by metman499

I wouldn't say this is a necessary negative move. As you say the possibility of any trips over the Class 1s is limited and the R&N has been a willing participant in trips, especially those run by the RT&HS, in the past.

#353662  by geep39

I purposely left out 903, because things are not finalized yet.
Word from attendees at the Phila Chapter's meeting was that "they wanted to keep the two engines together". I suspect, at the very least, the two locos will stay together under RCT&HS auspices. Nothing more to say until a deal is worked out.

#354298  by jfrey40535

For the past few years, the Philly-Strasburg trip has been planned, then called off. There's been a noticeable lack of fantrips/excursions here in Philly for quite some time now. The last big one I can think of was the DVARP trip to Reading.