• Grinning Hoghead emblem???

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by DrawbarFlats

Years ago, I saw an old trailer advertising what I think was piggyback service, for what road I cannot remember (SP??)
Anyway the emblem was of a cartoon style rendition of a grinning hoghead or pig with an old engineers cap on.

Does anyone know what logo I'm talking about? If so, could any of you folks post a pic, history, or link to it. I have tried every imaginable google search to no avail.

Thanks

by metman499

This was advertising on SP piggyback trailers. I remember seeing strings of them go by during the 1980s in Manville (before I had a camera of course). Image Photo from G. Elwood's website.

by DrawbarFlats

metman499 wrote:This was advertising on SP piggyback trailers. I remember seeing strings of them go by during the 1980s in Manville (before I had a camera of course)
Thanks for the link. That is indeed one of the heralds I saw, but I believe there was another one too. Not sure.

by conrail_engineer

DrawbarFlats wrote:
metman499 wrote:This was advertising on SP piggyback trailers. I remember seeing strings of them go by during the 1980s in Manville (before I had a camera of course)
Thanks for the link. That is indeed one of the heralds I saw, but I believe there was another one too. Not sure.
MKT used to use a grinning engineer-pig on it's branded TOFC service. My old man was a representative of a petrochemical company; and somehow he got a carton of note pads from Katy, with that character on the top.

I can't find a pad now (saw one in the basement just a few weeks ago) and I don't have a scanner anyway. Maybe someone else knows if it's on the Web.

by ExEMDLOCOTester

ATSF utilized Chico in an Engineers Hat to promote the Pig Trains in the 60's.

by DrawbarFlats

conrail_engineer wrote:
DrawbarFlats wrote:
MKT used to use a grinning engineer-pig on it's branded TOFC service. My old man was a representative of a petrochemical company; and somehow he got a carton of note pads from Katy, with that character on the top.

I can't find a pad now (saw one in the basement just a few weeks ago) and I don't have a scanner anyway. Maybe someone else knows if it's on the Web.
Something tells me that's the one. Any pics you know of??
Thanks

by conrail_engineer

DrawbarFlats wrote:
Something tells me that's the one. Any pics you know of??
Thanks
Just this afternoon, I found THREE NEW PADS of M-K-T promo note stationery.

Got the engineer-hog on it.

Tonight, I'm going to TRY to take a picture of it with my digital - I don't have a scanner. Since I live out of a shopping bag...I don't know if I can get camera, upload cable, computer, hosting company and all together at one time...but in the next week or so, I'll have it somehow.

To DB: It is NOT on the Web. I searched the day you asked...never put up there.

When I get my image up...someone can archive it!

by conrail_engineer

Sorry it took so long.

Here's an image:

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

by UPRR engineer

That is cool dude, thanks for sharing.

by MikeF

Illinois Central used a pig logo on trailers too. The only version of it I could find in a quick web search is this scan of a patch:

by 2nd trick op

Back in the mid 60's, Seaboard Air Line also had a somewhat-more-agressive logo for it's "Razorback" TOFC service, with the slogan "Rarin' to Go"