Railroad Forums 

• Grinning Hoghead emblem???

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#353499  by DrawbarFlats

Years ago, I saw an old trailer advertising what I think was piggyback service, for what road I cannot remember (SP??)
Anyway the emblem was of a cartoon style rendition of a grinning hoghead or pig with an old engineers cap on.

Does anyone know what logo I'm talking about? If so, could any of you folks post a pic, history, or link to it. I have tried every imaginable google search to no avail.

Thanks

#353510  by metman499

This was advertising on SP piggyback trailers. I remember seeing strings of them go by during the 1980s in Manville (before I had a camera of course). Image Photo from G. Elwood's website.

#353531  by DrawbarFlats

metman499 wrote:This was advertising on SP piggyback trailers. I remember seeing strings of them go by during the 1980s in Manville (before I had a camera of course)
Thanks for the link. That is indeed one of the heralds I saw, but I believe there was another one too. Not sure.

#353538  by conrail_engineer

DrawbarFlats wrote:
metman499 wrote:This was advertising on SP piggyback trailers. I remember seeing strings of them go by during the 1980s in Manville (before I had a camera of course)
Thanks for the link. That is indeed one of the heralds I saw, but I believe there was another one too. Not sure.
MKT used to use a grinning engineer-pig on it's branded TOFC service. My old man was a representative of a petrochemical company; and somehow he got a carton of note pads from Katy, with that character on the top.

I can't find a pad now (saw one in the basement just a few weeks ago) and I don't have a scanner anyway. Maybe someone else knows if it's on the Web.

#353543  by ExEMDLOCOTester

ATSF utilized Chico in an Engineers Hat to promote the Pig Trains in the 60's.

#353551  by DrawbarFlats

conrail_engineer wrote:
DrawbarFlats wrote:
MKT used to use a grinning engineer-pig on it's branded TOFC service. My old man was a representative of a petrochemical company; and somehow he got a carton of note pads from Katy, with that character on the top.

I can't find a pad now (saw one in the basement just a few weeks ago) and I don't have a scanner anyway. Maybe someone else knows if it's on the Web.
Something tells me that's the one. Any pics you know of??
Thanks

#357762  by conrail_engineer

DrawbarFlats wrote:
Something tells me that's the one. Any pics you know of??
Thanks
Just this afternoon, I found THREE NEW PADS of M-K-T promo note stationery.

Got the engineer-hog on it.

Tonight, I'm going to TRY to take a picture of it with my digital - I don't have a scanner. Since I live out of a shopping bag...I don't know if I can get camera, upload cable, computer, hosting company and all together at one time...but in the next week or so, I'll have it somehow.

To DB: It is NOT on the Web. I searched the day you asked...never put up there.

When I get my image up...someone can archive it!

#368606  by conrail_engineer

Sorry it took so long.

Here's an image:

Here

Here

Here

Here

Here

#368949  by UPRR engineer

That is cool dude, thanks for sharing.

#371244  by MikeF

Illinois Central used a pig logo on trailers too. The only version of it I could find in a quick web search is this scan of a patch:

#371807  by 2nd trick op

Back in the mid 60's, Seaboard Air Line also had a somewhat-more-agressive logo for it's "Razorback" TOFC service, with the slogan "Rarin' to Go"