• CNJ's Point Pleasant, NJ Yard

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

by ppbhist

Hello everyone.

I have been researching the CNJ's Point Pleasant rail yard at the terminus of the NY&LB, which existed from 1880 until it was closed in 1930. I was wondering if anyone might have some clues as to where I might obtain additional information about this yard.

I presently have requests pending with the NARA people concerning the available ICC valuation reports and track maps. I also have several photos of the installation, including the roundhouse, turntable and freight house (which still exists!). But I know there's a lot more out there.

I'd be more than glad to discuss the topic and share info/photos with anyone who's interested!

by metman499

You might want to try and contact Chris Baer at the Hagley Museum in Delaware. If his email isn't on their website contact me off list.

by ppbhist

Thanks, Nick.

I'll post any results I get.

Jerry

by Dougster

I didn't know there ever was a yard in Point Pleasant. Any photos available on line?

Doug
  by coco60

The rail yard could be what we use to call the "loop" in Bay head train yard.I grew up in Point Pleasant.

by radioboy

coco - there was a rail yard in Point until the line was extended south to Bay Head (and the loop) to meet up with the PRR line to Seaside, Toms River, and Camden.

<Edited>

by German

I've heard about the Point Pleasant yard as well, but have never found much on it, other than it being mentioned on a historical society website or two. I'd also love to see some pics of it, and get more info.
<Edited>

by metman499

Guys keeep it civil here.

by OCtrainguy

If you read the book "The Unique New York & Long Branch" there is information about the small yard and turntable in Point Pleasant Beach. The turntable used to be where the lumber yard currently is. I think a spur track used for passenger cars was kept until the the 1950s.