Railroad Forums 

• CNJ's Point Pleasant, NJ Yard

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#316388  by ppbhist

Hello everyone.

I have been researching the CNJ's Point Pleasant rail yard at the terminus of the NY&LB, which existed from 1880 until it was closed in 1930. I was wondering if anyone might have some clues as to where I might obtain additional information about this yard.

I presently have requests pending with the NARA people concerning the available ICC valuation reports and track maps. I also have several photos of the installation, including the roundhouse, turntable and freight house (which still exists!). But I know there's a lot more out there.

I'd be more than glad to discuss the topic and share info/photos with anyone who's interested!

#316523  by metman499

You might want to try and contact Chris Baer at the Hagley Museum in Delaware. If his email isn't on their website contact me off list.

#317180  by ppbhist

Thanks, Nick.

I'll post any results I get.

Jerry

#318956  by Dougster

I didn't know there ever was a yard in Point Pleasant. Any photos available on line?

Doug
 #432760  by coco60

The rail yard could be what we use to call the "loop" in Bay head train yard.I grew up in Point Pleasant.

#434668  by radioboy

coco - there was a rail yard in Point until the line was extended south to Bay Head (and the loop) to meet up with the PRR line to Seaside, Toms River, and Camden.

<Edited>

#435752  by German

I've heard about the Point Pleasant yard as well, but have never found much on it, other than it being mentioned on a historical society website or two. I'd also love to see some pics of it, and get more info.
<Edited>

#435758  by metman499

Guys keeep it civil here.

#437903  by OCtrainguy

If you read the book "The Unique New York & Long Branch" there is information about the small yard and turntable in Point Pleasant Beach. The turntable used to be where the lumber yard currently is. I think a spur track used for passenger cars was kept until the the 1950s.