• Rolling Stock at Ithaca's Station Restaurant

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by NYSW3614

I haven't been to eat at the former Lehigh station in a LONG time but I stopped by the other day to have a look at the tank engine. Its always been a dream of mine, should I hit the lottery, to have it restored and run it on private track or a tourist railroad.

Getting back to reality, any one know the heritage of the engine (Solvay Process?), the passenger cars, and the caboose and when they came there? Or a history of building after passenger service ended? I remember the cars being painted in gaudy colors in the 1980s. Also remember a friendly waiter letting me in the engine when I was very young, seems like I was able to ring the bell?

Thanks!
  by Lehighrrgreg

One of the cars, the second passenger car of the two is a Boston and Maine car. The forward car is LV. The caboose and the engine are the two mysteries to me. Scot Lawrence has more info about it than I do. The bell was removed from the engine a while back and placed inside. The interior of the building is a temple of LV artifacts and tastefully intermingled with original building features. They really embrace their history and I do enjoy visiting from time to time. Unfortunately, they are in possession of (as far as I am aware) the only existing original LV wooden "Sayre" passenger station sign and under no circumstances will they make any offers, cash/trade or otherwise to return it. However, it is their property now and at least its visible to the public.

by scottychaos

Here is the history of the locomotive.

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomo ... splay=1689

dont know about the caboose!
anyone have a photo?
just a photo would go a long way in helping to identify it..

by scottychaos

Greg,
do you know the stats for the LV car in Ithaca?
I didnt know one of those cars was LV! :D
I dont have it listed on the survivor page..
thanks!
Scot

by SST

My dad and I stayed there last year. We put the boat in at Waterloo and cruised the locks and overnighted at the Station. They have excellent food and atmosphere. What impressed me the most, and it may seems minor, is that in the bathroom of the car we slept in, the drinking cups were glass, not plastic. It would appear that they put a lot of time and effort into this place.

I highly recommend this place to stay.

by NYSW3614

Whoa! I didn't know it was a hotel as well!