• Fastest speed next to platform?

• General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.
General discussion of passenger rail systems not otherwise covered in the specific forums in this category, including high speed rail.

Moderators: mtuandrew, gprimr1

by timz

What's the fastest speed allowed anywhere in the world on the track next to an occupied passenger platform?

by UKrailwayman

In the UK it is 100 mph.
  by .Taurus.

On the upgrading highspeed line (Ausbaustrecke) between Hamburg and Berlin, trains are allow to drive with 230 km/h through the stations for the commuter trains.
The Platforms have additional barriers and signs.

Greets
  by timz

.Taurus. wrote: between Hamburg and Berlin, trains are allow to drive with 230 km/h through the stations for the commuter trains.
The Platforms have additional barriers and signs.
Through the stations, next to the platform?

Additional barriers... between the track and the platform? They raise and lower, or open and close, or what? When a train stops in the station, how big of a gap between the train and the platform?

by .Taurus.

ok
i found a picture:
The high speed trains runs directly through the station;
the waiting passengers (waiting for other commuter trains) are call attention by recorded messages;
the gap between the train and the platform is maybe 20 - 25 cm :-D

Greets

by Irish Chieftain

Just to clarify, the trains that pass through that station are the tilting ICE-T. 230 km/h (about 143 mph) is the top speed of those trains, as well...so those barriers are well warranted.

by Thomas I

.Taurus. wrote:ok
i found a picture:
The high speed trains runs directly through the station;
the waiting passengers (waiting for other commuter trains) are call attention by recorded messages;
the gap between the train and the platform is maybe 20 - 25 cm :-D

Greets
There are many stations where trains pass with 125mph (200km/h) on platforms without these barriers...

by george matthews

Thomas I wrote:
There are many stations where trains pass with 125mph (200km/h) on platforms without these barriers...
In Britain a simple yellow line on the platform is enough.

by M&Eman

In Massachusetts, Acela's pass unprotected commuter train platforms at 150 mph. This happens elsewhere on the NEC at 125mph and 135mph.

by Thomas I

george matthews wrote:
Thomas I wrote:
In Britain a simple yellow line on the platform is enough.
In Germany the line is white... :-D

by gprimr1

When I was in Japan, I was standing next to the railbed (on the platform) at the Hiroshima Shinkansen station and I was talking to my friend, then next thing I knew a train blew through the station so fast I could feel the wind pulling me towards it. I dont think he even whistled.

by Juniatha

gprimr1 wrote:When I was in Japan, I was standing next to the railbed (on the platform) at the Hiroshima Shinkansen station and I was talking to my friend, then next thing I knew a train blew through the station so fast I could feel the wind pulling me towards it. I dont think he even whistled.
Well, why whistle?
You'll feel it anyways if you get dragged in.
Only tragic point about it: you couln't buy a ticket that fast and so - likely - have to leave the same way next platform passssssssed...

Jiiiiuuuuuuuuuuuuniathaaaaaaaaaaa

by pennsy

Hi All,

On the NEC, on some stations, especially in the Baltimore area, you have gauntlet tracks to move the train away from the platform. That way the trains can pass through the station at maximum track speed, approaching 150 mph.