Railroad Forums 

• China to build Uganda-Sudan rail line

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#262735  by george matthews

http://www.businessinafrica.net/news/ea ... 608161.htm

China has agreed to finance a railway from Pakwach to Juba. My guess is this would be a continuation of the metre gauge line. I have an idea that the line to Pakwach is at present inoperative and I am not sire whether it was ever extended to Arua, as at one time planned.

Apparently Museveni thinks China is acting out of benevolence. In reality China has its eyes on the oil in southern Sudan.
The Chinese news agency, Xinhua, quoted Museveni as saying China’s development was not a threat, but beneficial for peace and development of Uganda, Africa and the world.

Museveni made the remarks at a meeting with Wen Jiabao, who left for home on Saturday.

Museveni, according to Xinhua, refuted the claim that China’s development was a threat to Africa and China was coveting Africa’s resources, saying the Ugandan people were happy for the tremendous achievements the Chinese have scored.

Museveni thanked China for providing assistance to Uganda in its fight for national liberation and giving it help in its national development after it became an independent nation, saying the Ugandan people would remember the kindness.