• Blue Line to Lynn Gets State support!!!

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by jack615

Blue Line extension plan gains support
By Thor Jourgensen
The Lynn Item
Friday, May 28, 2004

LYNN -- The Blue Line rapid transit extension to Lynn has won initial
legislative approval and a major funding commitment.

Lynn's legislators are confident they will secure sufficient votes in the
Massachusetts House and Senate to support the Legislature's Transportation
Committee endorsement of the Blue Line.

Jack

http://www.thedailyitemoflynn.com/news/ ... cleid=6280

by Charliemta

Cool! :D

by jrc520

w00t

by rob5243

Good to hear! Having the blue line in Lynn would make my commute about 90 percent easier, since I work in revere.

by Robert Paniagua

I heard about that. Glad its going to happen. Now if they can extend the Orange Line South from Forest Hills to University Ave/Rt 128 in Westwood/Norwood Industrial Park next........:-D That would also be nice.

by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

it would be a nice idea, but i don't think they will extend the orange line to Route 128 in Westwood

(this is the 128 on the Attleboro line, right?, i don;'t know what city the Attleboro line 128 is in, but i am pretty sure it is westwood)

by Robert Paniagua

Yes, it is the Rt 128 in the Attleboro Line.

Extending the Orange Line out of Forest Hills to this Area (University Ave, Westwood/Norwood) would be easy in that area, but at Readville it would be difficult, since the track would have to be built on a high-viaduct to get above the Readville Bridge, and the NEC. Then, the Orange Line would have to run on an EL from there right over the bogs there to RTE 128, and then continue on EL above University Avenue for the next 2.75 miles down to the would-be railyard, which could be built at the former Jet Spray Corporation (825 University Avenue), since there would be lots of land and room to store the cars and have a carhouse. That area also lies with the Martignetti Companies Dist. Centre, and the UPS Facilities in Norwood.

As for the Blue Line Extension, that would have to run above Rte 1A over Revere to Lynn, since there is no other room to place the trackage. However, I would like that setup, since its above Ground, and there would also be no room for a tunnel either, so the only way to have the Blue Line run to Lynn would have to be right above Route 1A. Not bad at all.....

by jack615

Rob actually they would most likely north of the existing Wonderland Station connect to the eastern main line and go over or parallel the existing CR ROW right into central square. One other option was to use the old Narrow Gauge route but that doesnt seem likely. They should be finishing the DEIS soon we can find definatively what route they decided this would take if it is built.

Jack

by Robert Paniagua

Oh Ok, Jack, that sounds like a good idea then. I wasn't so sure of where, since I don't live in the area or frequently visit it.

As for the new Blue Line cars, do you or anyone else know when are they gonna come? Maybe next year or something?

by vanshnookenraggen

I know that it is less expensive and less disturbing to extend lines along CR lines but as someone here added that if you want to get from Lynn to Boston the fastest way is by CR. The same goes for the Needham CR/Green Line/Orange Line idea. What I am trying to say is why not come up with ideas that go to other places where people are and let the CR serve where they serve.

One thing I think is interesting is that there has been little talk about the Green Line extention to Medford. This was mandated by the Big Dig agreements but it isnt mentioned in the new bill. That and while funding for FR/NB is in there the T resently killed the project (but if it was due to funding then this might change things).

While I am here I may as well ask this cause I am too lazy to post a new topic: how far along is Greenbush?

by Xplorer2000

Robert Paniagua wrote:Yes, it is the Rt 128 in the Attleboro Line.

As for the Blue Line Extension, that would have to run above Rte 1A over Revere to Lynn, since there is no other room to place the trackage. However, I would like that setup, since its above Ground, and there would also be no room for a tunnel either, so the only way to have the Blue Line run to Lynn would have to be right above Route 1A. Not bad at all.....
Okay, why is there no room for a tunnel?? IIRC, they're going to use the old BRB & L R.O.W. , which parallels Route 1-A up to the old Point of Pines Station area( and under that STUPID condo complex...) Route 1-A rises up on an embankment there as well, so burrowing under probably would make more sense, espescially since no one in that area(LOTS of expensive houses...) is going to stand for a towering flyover bridge, much less will the neighboorhoods along the way stand for an elevated structure in their backyards. Best to bury it, out of sight , out of mind, and build a nice, underground station in front of the garage ,right next to the New Busway, and a Quick trip up the stairs to either buses or commuter rail. It may be more expensive overall, but it'll avoid costly and time consuming litgation( Greenbush, any one???) Most of the old ROW is now industrial land , too, and easier to work around/under than the residential neighboorhoods just behind( and closer to )the commuter rail ROW... A more effective plan , from my viewpoint, for what thats worth....

by jack615

First off Xplorer they ARE NOT going to be using the old narrow gauge right of way, so get that fantasy out of your head. Like I already explained the new extension will travel north of wonderland and by the time it gets to point of pines the new blue line will be along the existing row used by the commuter rail, and the new line will be either above or parallel the eastern main line. And then it would follow that existing route to Lynn and/or Salem. Its been that way for a while so you must be outdated with your information. Also there is no way that they would build a tunnel in such a environmentally sensitive area and when they got a spot to put it already.

Jack

by efin98

Calm down Jack, take a few breathes. You need to your dates as well, only fairly recently has the T announced any leanings towards the commuter rail right of way so using the Narrow Guage is STILL a possibility. And as a matter of fact, the joining of the right of way BEFORE the General Edwards Bridge goes through and even more environmentally volitile area. That big marsh right next to the dog track ring a bell? That's exactly where the T would have to build over. A short tunnel under 1a with a bridge connecting to the commuter rail right of way at Point of Pines is probably what will happen since the environazis, EPA, DEP, and the city of Revere will not allow the demolission of any part of the marsh at the current planned junction site. Using the Narrow Guage takes up less marshland(running along already existing right of way that already disturbs the marsh). It's not over yet, the feds have their say and I would not be surprised if they went for the Narrow Guage plan.

by Xplorer2000

The one tine I don't rant Against the Blue Line....I STILL get yelled at....Sheesh!!! :( :P :wink:
Seriously, though, the old BRB&L r.o.w is pretty much the only way, unless you want to be tied up in the courts for the next twenty or so years, fighting over the land taking you'd need to do to expand the CR row to four tracks through the Wonderland to Lynn stretch, and as was mentioned, the Environmental Impact Studies you have to go through every time you so much as LOOK at a wetlands area....you get the point.
Following, either on the surface , or underground, the general path of the old Narrow gauge( which the Blue Line already does for the most part anyways, funny enough...makes you wonder why it was ever abandoned) quite literally is the path of least resistance. I may favor CR , but if the Blue Line's coming to Lynn, might as well do it right.....

by efin98

some of the right of way has to be used, there is no way around it. Most likely I think the joining of the Blue Line and the Commuter Rail is going to be at approximately Oak Island Street, since just beyond that the right of way starts to merge with the encroaching condos.

And there will be a tunnel, but only as long as the width of Rt. 1a, most likely with cuts on either side.