• ALP-44/AEM-7 Differences?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by 7 Train

Both AEM7 and ALP44 are rated at 125 mph and 7000 HP.

by nick11a

7 Train wrote:Both AEM7 and ALP44 are rated at 125 mph and 7000 HP.
OK cool, was wrong then. Didn't know the ALPs could go that fast- not that they would ever get a chance to do so.

by AEM7AC920

7 Train wrote:Both AEM7 and ALP44 are rated at 125 mph and 7000 HP.
I do not believe the ALP-44 is setup for 125 mph operation, if i'm correct they are only geared for 100 mph. If you ran them any faster then you are risking traction motor damage etc.

by pgengler

jimzim66 wrote:Was SEPTAs ALP purchased new or from us?
It arrived new ... from what I've gathered, it wasn't so much "purchased" as it was the result of a settlement regarding late delivery of some cars that Septa had ordered. Someone with more knowledge can fill you in on the details.

by Jtgshu

NJT's ALP is rated for 100mph - not 125mph.

NJT's ALP44's i woulnd't say are unreliable - sometimes they break down, but so do '46's and so do AEM7's. Do some break down more than other's? Sure, but the original order of '44's have been running in their original form for 16 years, day in and day out - over the past few days, my crew and I have had the 4400, 01, 04, 05, 06, 10 and we didn't have any problems at all

by chuchubob

pgengler wrote:
jimzim66 wrote:Was SEPTAs ALP purchased new or from us?
It arrived new ... from what I've gathered, it wasn't so much "purchased" as it was the result of a settlement regarding late delivery of some cars that Septa had ordered. Someone with more knowledge can fill you in on the details.
"Septa's #2301-2307 motors are AEM-7s.
#2308 is an ALP-44.

"As I understand it, #2308 was part of a damage settlement. Apparently ASEA was late in delivering the N-5 cars for the Norristown Rt 100 interurban, so Septa sued, and ASEA gave Septa a free locomotive."

Charlie O'Hay, Railfan.net SEPTA forum; 15 Mar 04

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?bo ... 1074598851

by benltrain

SEPTA's ALP-44 gets just as much use as its AEM-7s, although the whole PP fleet is considered pretty stupid to have with SEPTA's setup. Why SEPTA doesn't just trade away their ALP-44 stuns me. With the Silverliner V order they should be able to sell their electrics and store, sell, or scrap their coaches.

Also, half of SEPTA's system (the reading side) can only take 2 PPs at once due to power restrictions. If they do anything with them, they should use them on joint NYC service with NJT.

by Jtgshu

I stand corrected............

The '44's top speed is 125mph - now, im not sure if thats including the "operating buffer zone" for lack of a better word, so the equipment isn't running at 100 percent at all times..........

HOWEVER, NJT has their speed limited by timetable to 100 mph - mainly because there is no NJT equipment that can travel at speeds in exceess of 100mph (at least certified for mroe than 100mph)

I'm not sure if I'd want to be on a 6 or 8 car solid Comet V train with an ALP44 going at 125 down the corridor anyway.... Thank you very much.

by ryanov

Jtgshu wrote:NJT's ALP is rated for 100mph - not 125mph.

NJT's ALP44's i woulnd't say are unreliable - sometimes they break down, but so do '46's and so do AEM7's. Do some break down more than other's? Sure, but the original order of '44's have been running in their original form for 16 years, day in and day out - over the past few days, my crew and I have had the 4400, 01, 04, 05, 06, 10 and we didn't have any problems at all
I've been had 4408 break down pulling trains I was riding twice last year. Should be all fixed now though -- replaced the bell with an electronic one. ;)

by nick11a

ryanov wrote:
Jtgshu wrote:NJT's ALP is rated for 100mph - not 125mph.

I've been had 4408 break down pulling trains I was riding twice last year. Should be all fixed now though -- replaced the bell with an electronic one. ;)
Yup, 4410 has an electronic bell too. It's weird hearing that sound in Summit. Sounds like an AEM7.

by Eric Kreszl

OK

The AEM-7 and ALP44 electric locomotives are very similar in apperance but are totaly two different animals :P The ALP-44 has grilles along the side while the AEM-7's Don't. The ALP-44's have only 2 marker lights on the side of the locomotives while the AEM-7's have 3 with the third between the number boards. Some ALP-44 locomotives are designated as ALP44M's which have the microprocessor control systems which are numbered from 4420 through 4431. Some AEM-7 Electrics have been rebuilt with the AC Traction Systems. But both locomotive types are very similar in appearance espically at first sight.

Hope this helps

Eric :wink: :-D :-D

by benltrain

I think its obvious enough as only one agency has both locos :wink:

by Nasadowsk

Electrically, the AEM-7 is an uprated RC-4. I'm not sure about the '44, it might be a derivative of the RC-4 (maybe a later RC series. I've not seen a cutaway or been in one yet). The '46 is a derrived DB Class 101, totally different animal. I believe the 101 was derived from the Lok 2000 (SBB Re 465), I'm not sure.

by benltrain

What other differences can we see, as the ALP-44 is SEPTA's only, making SEPTA the only agency to have both of these locos, not to mention in the same paint scheme.

by benltrain

NOT just the pictures, but it seems like the AEM7 is a bit bigger. I just go by the front number displays- the AEM7 text is much bigger.

On a side note... what are your favorite paint schemes? I like MARC the best, and always have. The worst would have to be NJT's or Amtrak's phase 4 or 5, probably NJT's.