Railroad Forums 

• ALP-44/AEM-7 Differences?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#244675  by pgengler

The two things I notice that are the most different between the AEM-7 and the ALP-44 are the style of headlights (the ALP-44 lights are recessed) and the exhaust grilles along the sides of the units (the ALP-44s are larger). Though, I find it's not hard to remember that 2308 is SEPTA's ALP-44, and otherwise if it's pained for NJT, it's a -44, and if it's painted for Amtrak or MARC, it's an AEM-7.

I do recall reading somewhere that the ALP-44 was based on the RC-7, while the AEM-7 was based on the RC-4.

#244727  by Nasadowsk

Maybe the RC-6, I don't think there was an RC-7 at the time. Then again, the RC-6 might have been an AC unit. RC-5? *shrug*.

The AEM-7's electricals are basically an RC-4 that's been uprated slightly. A more or less standard RC-4 was tested in the US prior to the AEM-7 arriving.

#245112  by catch

" .........The '46 is a derrived DB Class 101, totally different animal. I believe the 101 was derived from the Lok 2000 (SBB Re 465), I'm not sure."

Hello
The '46 has absolutly nothing in common with a Lok 2000. The '46 is based on the 101 with special adoptions form 185 and changes for NJT/US needs.

#245186  by transit383

I took these photos at West Trenton Station from pretty much the same location, so the differences should be clear.

AEM-7 2305

ALP-44 2308

One thing that really sticks out to me are the windows. The AEM-7's front windows are a bit recessed while the ALP-44's are flush with the front of the locomotive.

#248111  by USRailFan

Nasadowsk wrote:Maybe the RC-6, I don't think there was an RC-7 at the time. Then again, the RC-6 might have been an AC unit. RC-5? *shrug*.
The only difference between Rc5 and Rc6 were the gearing - the Rc5 had a max. speed of 140 km/h, the Rc6 has a max. speed of 160 km/h. All Rc5 were upgraded to Rc6 configuration by changing the gearing.