• Bergen County Train vs. Truck collision?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

by TAMR213

I hear on the News 12 Traffic and Weather of a train vs. truck accident up in Oakland. Any details?

by washingtonsecondary

If it happened earlier in the morning, it may be the NYS&W's SU-100 coming east.

Edit: NYS&W Yahoo group is reporting that it was the SU-100. No word on injuries yet.

by njt4172

washingtonsecondary wrote:If it happened earlier in the morning, it may be the NYS&W's SU-100 coming east.

Edit: NYS&W Yahoo group is reporting that it was the SU-100. No word on injuries yet.

There was a massive fire too.. I really hope the crews get out of this ok!! :(

by JLo

Two dead, presumably in the truck, but not yet clear.

http://www.nj.com/newslogs/starledger/i ... tml#127307

by Sirsonic

The two deceased were both in the dump truck. From what I saw on Channel 7, the dump truck was consumed by the fire, which also scorched a car of lumber.

by CarterB

Two dead, evidently burned alive trying to escape the burning vehicle.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qst ... VlRUV5eTI=

by NJT4207

They drove around traffic to beat the train. Bells & lights were working. They caused this accident. Hi Sirsonic.

by dave76

"It will be up to the Bergen County Prosecutor’s Office to determine whether toxicology tests should be performed on the engineer, O’Connor said."

Isn't is ammazing, it's almost like they want to blame the engineer, what do they expect him to do swerve out of the way.

by njt4172

deleted
Last edited by njt4172 on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

by washingtonsecondary

They drove around traffic to beat the train. Bells & lights were working. They caused this accident. Hi Sirsonic
Can we PLEASE wait until ALL the facts are in before we jump to conclusions?

How does ANYONE know if the truck was trying to beat the train? I'm holding whatever judgement I deserve to give until after ALL the FACTS are disclosed.

by NJT4207

washingtonsecondary wrote:
They drove around traffic to beat the train. Bells & lights were working. They caused this accident. Hi Sirsonic
Can we PLEASE wait until ALL the facts are in before we jump to conclusions?

How does ANYONE know if the truck was trying to beat the train? I'm holding whatever judgement I deserve to give until after ALL the FACTS are disclosed.
On Ch.12,thats what the interviewed witness said on tv.He was a truck driver & was in the 1st vehicle STOPPED at the crossing.He watched the whole thing unfold. I would say the facts are pretty clear on this one.

by Sirsonic

The driver of the dump truck drove around several vehicles that were stopped waiting for the train. They pulled onto the track right in front of the approaching train. Also, the impact did not kill the occupants of the vehicle. One witness reported they were trying to get out of the burning truck before it became fully engulfed and nothing could be done for them. I am glad to see that the Bergen County Prosecutor was wise enough to realize he has no authority to test the train crew. Maybe he can have a chat with his counterpart in Morris County...

The track where this occurred was recently upgraded by the railroad, and subsequently the speed limit was raised to 40 mph (from 30). It seems that it was only a matter of time, according to one rr employee, before this happened as disobedience at this crossing is quite high.

Finally one point. While the driver did drive directly in front of the approaching train, and so knowingly risked his own life, and caused his death, the passenger was not in control of the vehicle. For all we know he was shouting to the driver to stop as he pulled around the stopped traffic. To say he deserved to die for the actions of the driver is rather cold.

by nick11a

Sirsonic wrote:Finally one point. While the driver did drive directly in front of the approaching train, and so knowingly risked his own life, and caused his death, the passenger was not in control of the vehicle. For all we know he was shouting to the driver to stop as he pulled around the stopped traffic. To say he deserved to die for the actions of the driver is rather cold.
Very true. And we probably will never know.