• Crane On The Southern Tier (Pictures)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by SimTrains

I noticed something odd off to the left side of the track on the NS southern tier line this morning as I crossed the Penora street crossing. So i got my camera and went to take a look see....

WOW, was I amazed to see this sitting there

And from the back

Perhaps this piece of track, right next to the crane is why the crane is here

Overall a pretty cool find, I forgot to mention above, this was sitting on a spur in Lancater, NY just feet from Transit Road. Also, I was supprised to find that 2 tracks cross transit road on that bridge, this crane was on the left spur, which crossed transit road.[/img]

by thannon

Only saw two trains on the Tier today- one of them was the NS 31T in Waverly, NY.

Tom H> :P
Last edited by thannon on Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Otto Vondrak

Nice pictures, guys!

-otto-

by O-6-O

More tresspassing pics, how nice.

STEAM ON (legally) please
/--OOO--:-oo--oo-

by 7 Train

What? A Santa Fe diesel in NY State? And it doesn't even read BNSF yet!

by Otto Vondrak

BNSF power running through to NY is pretty common- but always cool to see leading! That warbonnet pictured above most likely is lettered "BNSF" on the flanks.

It looks like some of the photos of the crane above were taken while standing on or very close to the tracks. Always be careful when around railroad property, and always maintain a safe distance whenever possible.

-otto-

by SimTrains

Thannon,
Were the other units on this train CN? I think I saw this same unit just a day or two before, crossing union road in Cheektowaga, NY.

by thannon

"Were the other units on this train CN? "

Yes. Behind the BNSF 639 were CN 5368-5537.

Tom H>

by Maybrook fan

What would damage the rail like that ????

(If it was wheel spin wouldn't there be more than the one mark ?)

by SimTrains

I have no idea, but I'll bet that is one heck of a bump for trains to go over.