• Allentown yard/ Cp burn

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

by glennk419

Nice pictures, Walter. Thanks for sharing.

One note though, I believe those commuter cars are actually New Jersey Transit Arrow MU cars, obviously heading to the scrap dealer. That was a very good catch to see them in Allentown, unfortunately it is the closest to home that they will ever be again.

by myfavscr

The cars had the big white "M" in a blue circle on the sides that's why I
assumed they were LIRR or Metro -north cars.

by metman499

Glenn, those cars are ex-MN used for West-of-Hudson operations. They had been stored in Port Jervice. They were built from unused mu bodies. Presumably they are heading out to be scrapped

by glennk419

metman499 wrote:Glenn, those cars are ex-MN used for West-of-Hudson operations. They had been stored in Port Jervice. They were built from unused mu bodies. Presumably they are heading out to be scrapped
Thank you for the clarifications. I could see the old pantograph mounts and center "camel hump" and assumed they were old Arrows. Would they still not be ex-NJT as I don't think MN ever used Arrows on its' electrified lines. I also remember seeing a photo album on these cars when they were still in Port Jervis. The "locals" made a mess out of what was left of them, I guess the railroad finally conceded to the town's demands to remove them.