Railroad Forums 

• Allentown yard/ Cp burn

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#222660  by glennk419

Nice pictures, Walter. Thanks for sharing.

One note though, I believe those commuter cars are actually New Jersey Transit Arrow MU cars, obviously heading to the scrap dealer. That was a very good catch to see them in Allentown, unfortunately it is the closest to home that they will ever be again.

#222841  by myfavscr

The cars had the big white "M" in a blue circle on the sides that's why I
assumed they were LIRR or Metro -north cars.

#222844  by metman499

Glenn, those cars are ex-MN used for West-of-Hudson operations. They had been stored in Port Jervice. They were built from unused mu bodies. Presumably they are heading out to be scrapped

#222851  by glennk419

metman499 wrote:Glenn, those cars are ex-MN used for West-of-Hudson operations. They had been stored in Port Jervice. They were built from unused mu bodies. Presumably they are heading out to be scrapped
Thank you for the clarifications. I could see the old pantograph mounts and center "camel hump" and assumed they were old Arrows. Would they still not be ex-NJT as I don't think MN ever used Arrows on its' electrified lines. I also remember seeing a photo album on these cars when they were still in Port Jervis. The "locals" made a mess out of what was left of them, I guess the railroad finally conceded to the town's demands to remove them.