• Hmm....those MU toilets !

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by henry6

MU's weren't the only cars where the toilets emtied onto the tracks, most all passenger equipment did at that time. BUT there were signs posted that requesting that passengers not use toilets while stopped at stations. On some roads, including the DL&W, there were timetable instructions ordering toilets be locked between certain stations...on the DL I think it was someplace east of Summit and in Hoboken Terminal.
  by CarterB

Just wondering, what about the business or other cars still owned and operated by Class I's (or others) not in Amtrak service. Still track dump toilets on them?
  by henry6

Oh, no, everything today has to be self contained.

by CarterB

So the relatively large passenger fleet of the UP for their business trains has all been converted?
  by henry6

CarterB wrote:So the relatively large passenger fleet of the UP for their business trains has all been converted?
Yes. Anything business train, anything that runs Amtrak, anything that runs commuter agencies, and even most tourist lines.

by Nasadowsk

One bad thing - if the wind blew the wrong way while you were on the toilet....

The 'air piston' effect in/out of Penn Station on the LIRR caused a lot of amusing stories to be told about the MP car toilets...

I never understood why human waste can't be dumped out in the middle of nowhere, but deer, dogs, bears, etc go wherever they want and it's ok...

by Tri-State Tom

WE HAVE PHOTOS OF THEM MU TOILETS....albeit of new ones....on the 'MU's GALORE' thread !

by GOLDEN-ARM

The terlet was against the outside wall, and looking down, you would have seen the rail. A sheet metal "deflector" was used, to divert the "offerings" towards the center of the track. Knowing from firsthand experience (my GF of that time) certain speeds caused the air under the car to blow up into the bathroom, via the toilet, if you didn't have a perfect seal on the seat. (an impossibility) An electrician at Gladstone, was well known, and reviled, for his nightly use of the throne, on the last train into the station, which tied down on the main, at the platform. As the train tied down in the same spot, and the bathroom was in the same spot, there was a really ripe section of the platform, all year long. The horror. The horror. :P

by Tadman

Dave that's got to be the funniest thing I've ever seen on rr.net. I cannot imagine anything like that being legit today, and in this case I'm all for it - the last thing I want is a reverse flush while I'm near the toiletski.

Reminds me of the situation a few years back where the bus driver of a Dave Matthews tour bus dumped the toilet of the bus on a drawbridge in Chicago, and a tour boat was floating below the bridge, fully loaded. Ooops. But I digress, as this isn't busnet.