Railroad Forums 

• Hmm....those MU toilets !

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

#59  by Tri-State Tom

Sorry....seemed like a logical choice for an opener here....
 #65  by NYSW3614

Well ok, why not. The tourist line I volunteer for has 3 of the trailer cars and they have modern toilets. What did the DL&W use? Is it safe to assume they never used retention tanks?

#272  by JDFX

Aren't we all shot? LMAO... How did I know that T.S.T. would start this forum off with the MU Toilets?

Truth is, I was thinking about starting the forum off the same way... sssshhhh...

Anyway, no, MU's didn't have retention toilets originally, they just dumped directly on the tracks.

God is it good to be back here...

Hey

#446  by njt4172

Tom,

HAHA... Your such a riot!! Lets not STINK this topic up! :roll: :D :P I love they new smiley icons....

Steve
 #458  by CarterB

"Next stop, Morristown......will the Morris Plains riders PLEASE refrain from flushing toilets as we enter the station!!!"

#1534  by BlockLine_4111

What a foul topic of discussion !

#5629  by Tri-State Tom

Carter -

Flush ? Twern't no flusher on dem MU toilets !

BTW, anyone recall if there was a sink in there with running water to ah....er....well....to a, shall we say to 'manually' comply with Carter's post for a flush of sorts ?

I'm still researching the MU car # in which Tom Edison had to see 'Mrs. Murphy' !

#32686  by Tri-State Tom

Time for a revival of this subject....

Anyone know if the toilets have survived into excursion service at any of the multiple locations the MU's scattered around the country ?

We need some 2004 pics of the MU toilets....anyone ?

#32938  by njt4172

Tom,

I recall that the toilets are still being used on the ex motor car Mu's that run out of Honesdale, Pa along the Stourbridge line..... I shed a tear in my eye when i saw "Jenny + Tim 1983" etched in the opaque fogged up windows. They must have used a probe to write that in1!!

Steve

#65679  by Tri-State Tom

Can't let this topic languish on page 2....

Still looking for any photos of the toilets....either then or now.

Did we ever get a consensus that Marcal out of Paterson was the sole supplier of TP to the Lackawanna ?
 #65755  by jmp883

.....as in the toilets are MU'd like locomotives? Would hate to think what would happen if a jumper cable failed. Would you be zapped? What if the airhose broke? Would the toilets go into emergency? What would they do once they went into emergency? Also, does it mean that someone always has to be sitting on the lead toilet? A regular toilet has just one operating handle, would an MU Toilet have 3 handles like a loco control stand? If they do I really hope that there is no reverser, and I don't even want to think about what the dynamic brake lever would do......

Then there is the question of dual-control toilets so you can 'run' in either direction.........but I really feel I've flushed this out enough.

Enjoying the ride here on the BUOI (Buffs Using Overactive Imagination), just some food for thought!!!

Joe P :-D
Long Live The EL
www.geocities.com/jmpwpd29

#65971  by pdman

You looked right down onto the tracks. In the winter, those little rooms were quite cold -- even with a couple of feet of heater pipe in them. Because of the direct-to-track disposal system, it made for really looking down when walking the track back then.

#216854  by Tri-State Tom

How'd this get dumped....err....how'd this stream over....ahh, sorry....well ah....how'd we let this get backed-up over to page 3 ?

Did I just say backed-up ? Please pass me a sheet or two of Marcal....

#216876  by njt4172

Tri-State Tom wrote:How'd this get dumped....err....how'd this stream over....ahh, sorry....well ah....how'd we let this get backed-up over to page 3 ?

Did I just say backed-up ? Please pass me a sheet or two of Marcal....
Tom,

Your fascination with this thread errr worries me.... :wink:

#218373  by Semaphore Sam

Ummm......sure its not Tri-State John?