• A track question.

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Mattliverpool

I am a novice at this part of railroad information. While railfaning in Syracuse, NY. I notice alot of trains, the more heavier ones, making track sections sink slightly. I see some CSX, Helms units, etc. bounce at certain speeds. Shouldn't the detectors or train crews notice this? Or is this not a problem?

Thanks
Matt

by O-6-O

Matt: The sinking of the track you noticed is in most cases normal. You
must consider the weight of a typical 6 axle locomotive being in excess
of 170 tons. All that weight on 12 wheels with a contact area about the
size of a 50 cent piece each. The concentration of weight from wheel to
rail head is enormous. The "give" in the track is acutally designed in.

by nessman

If the track didn't flex a bit under load, it would be brittle and would break. If you don't see that flexing, best to find another place to watch trains.

by SRS125

If you see a locomotive rilly bouceing in spots take my advice and find anouther spot to sit its a sign that the rail and or ties are in real poor shape and an accdent is bound to happen soon.
  by TB Diamond

Quite correct, nessman. Worked in an area where winter temps went down to -35 f. The rails did not flex all that well at that temperature and did break with alarming frequency, especially when a flat spot on a wheel was involved.