Railroad Forums 

• A track question.

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#216545  by Mattliverpool

I am a novice at this part of railroad information. While railfaning in Syracuse, NY. I notice alot of trains, the more heavier ones, making track sections sink slightly. I see some CSX, Helms units, etc. bounce at certain speeds. Shouldn't the detectors or train crews notice this? Or is this not a problem?

Thanks
Matt

#216551  by O-6-O

Matt: The sinking of the track you noticed is in most cases normal. You
must consider the weight of a typical 6 axle locomotive being in excess
of 170 tons. All that weight on 12 wheels with a contact area about the
size of a 50 cent piece each. The concentration of weight from wheel to
rail head is enormous. The "give" in the track is acutally designed in.

#216609  by nessman

If the track didn't flex a bit under load, it would be brittle and would break. If you don't see that flexing, best to find another place to watch trains.

#216826  by SRS125

If you see a locomotive rilly bouceing in spots take my advice and find anouther spot to sit its a sign that the rail and or ties are in real poor shape and an accdent is bound to happen soon.
 #216977  by TB Diamond

Quite correct, nessman. Worked in an area where winter temps went down to -35 f. The rails did not flex all that well at that temperature and did break with alarming frequency, especially when a flat spot on a wheel was involved.