• Help in identifying this locomotive...

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

by emd_SD_60

I just caught a train a minute ago, and the fourth unit was a rather rare locomotive on the IC... it was an all-red GP40 or SD40, had no dynamic brakes, and had numbering on the cab in white letters. And before anyone asks, NO it was not a SOO or CP loco. I was tempted to get in my car and go after it, but mama wouldn't let me... Any explanations?

by octr202

Did the IC keep any of the Chicago Central's roster when the re-aquired the CC&P? But the only thing I can find on a roster for the old CCP that would match the description are some GP38's and the three GP 28's.

by SOU2645

octr202 wrote:Did the IC keep any of the Chicago Central's roster when the re-aquired the CC&P? But the only thing I can find on a roster for the old CCP that would match the description are some GP38's and the three GP 28's.

IC kept the 2 SW13's, a few GP10's, 2 GP28's (CCP got rid of 9440) and the GP38's. Some units even got repainted. Since 1999 all of these have been retired. Unit may be a Helm unit - some of these are now solid red.
Larry