Railroad Forums 

• Help in identifying this locomotive...

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#169938  by emd_SD_60

I just caught a train a minute ago, and the fourth unit was a rather rare locomotive on the IC... it was an all-red GP40 or SD40, had no dynamic brakes, and had numbering on the cab in white letters. And before anyone asks, NO it was not a SOO or CP loco. I was tempted to get in my car and go after it, but mama wouldn't let me... Any explanations?

#170020  by octr202

Did the IC keep any of the Chicago Central's roster when the re-aquired the CC&P? But the only thing I can find on a roster for the old CCP that would match the description are some GP38's and the three GP 28's.

#170215  by SOU2645

octr202 wrote:Did the IC keep any of the Chicago Central's roster when the re-aquired the CC&P? But the only thing I can find on a roster for the old CCP that would match the description are some GP38's and the three GP 28's.

IC kept the 2 SW13's, a few GP10's, 2 GP28's (CCP got rid of 9440) and the GP38's. Some units even got repainted. Since 1999 all of these have been retired. Unit may be a Helm unit - some of these are now solid red.
Larry