• Pool/Foreign Power on the EL

• Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.
Discussion relating to the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western, the Erie, and the resulting 1960 merger creating the Erie Lackawanna. Visit the Erie Lackawanna Historical Society at http://www.erielackhs.org/.

Moderator: blockline4180

by nk07083

What pool/foreign power would one see here in the East on the EL during the period from 1960 to 1975?? Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Ed B.
  by henry6

GREAT NORTHERN, BURLINGTON, SANTE FE, SP&S, SOUTHERN PACIFIC, B&O, PRR, PC, NYC, NORTHERN PACIFIC, UNION PACIFIC, BOSTON & MAINE, MAINE CENTRAL, DELEWARE AND HUDSON. AND THOSE ARE ONLY THE ONE'S I REMEBER SEEING!

by jmp883

You can also add Milwaukee Road and Rock Island to that list........ :-D

by johnpbarlow

Also, Norfolk and Western and between Scranton and New Jersey, CNJ.
  by Matt Langworthy

LV also ran on EL. They had trackage rights on Erie/EL betwwen Waverly and Elmira to service an isolated remnant of EC&N. I saw this run as a child- usually powered by an RS2/3 but on at least one occasion an SW switcher was used. Furthermore, LV ran on EL between Owego and Binghamton to interchange with D&H.

Finally, LV and EL had agreements to use each other's tracks if one of them had their mainline fouled by a derailment or flooding.

I saw CNJ power west of Scanton, although it was rare.
Last edited by Matt Langworthy on Mon Aug 08, 2005 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by charlie6017

johnpbarlow wrote:Also, Norfolk and Western and between Scranton and New Jersey, CNJ.
I was born in '71 so I did not notice much of anything, but I would bet there was quite a bit of N&W on their lines since N&W had control of the EL with the holding company "Dereco?"

by johnpbarlow

Re: N&W presence due to Dereco (EL+D&H operator from 1968 to 1972), you are likely correct. I have a handful of photos of N&W GPs and Us taken in 1969. I don't recall seeing a lot of N&W locomotives but I do remember that it was commonplace to see D&H engines on EL freights and vice versa. My understanding was that N&W operated Dereco at arm's length such that if the EL+D&H ship sank, N&W wouldn't be dragged under, as well.
  by Matt Langworthy

That was the exact reasoning of Jack Fishwick. As the N&W official assigned to Dereco's office in Cleveland (i.e. EL HQ), he was deeply worried about EL's debt.

N&W ran some through freights in conjunction with EL under Dereco, basically to give EL a St. Louis connection and to bypass the Chicago bottleneck. I'm pretty sure those trains continued after the end of Dereco because I did see a few N&W engines on EL circa 1975.

As a consequence of Dereco, most SD45s and a few of the six-axle U-boats on EL were delivered with dual control stands so they could run long-hood forward.

by Hoosier Joe

On the west end of the EL I saw a Missouri Pacific RS-11 back in the early 1970's.

by mxdata

I can confirm that too, having seen MoPac power on the west end in the early 1970s, I do not know how far east they might have gotten.
  by Matt Langworthy

LV could also be found on EL at Niagara Falls and Buffalo, because they co-owned Buffalo Creek RR and (along with NYC/PC) Niagara Jct RR.
  by henry6

I overlooked NKP! Not just in and around Buffalo but also via LV connections and EL interchange.
  by Matt Langworthy

Although the distance was short (1 mile or so), Bath & Hammondsport RR ran on Erie/EL rails at Bath to reach the small interchange yard. That lasted from the time B&H was converted to standard gauge in 1888 or '89 until CR moved the interchange point to Blessing (near Savona) in the late '90s.

Didn't some of the Canadian roads like TH&B or GTW use Erie/EL rails in Niagara Falls for interchange?

by BlockLine_4111

I was too young to recall any of this back in the day. I did see some blurb about PC/EL pairings in the Newburgh/Port Jervis area in the 70s, right before the merger. The book by Pennisi shows some shots of BN diesels on the Tier too.
  by henry6

Don"t forget NJT's U33CH's!