Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

by NHV 669

DIM-005 was into Greenville Jct. at 19:50 with 8113/BNSF 5228, and 56 cars of wind power components.
Screenshot_20240520_200751_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240520_201014_YouTube.jpg
Screenshot_20240520_201054_YouTube.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by fromway

Been away for awhile. I am confused about the arrival in Searsport of windmill components. Are they going to be exported or are they just going to be stored there? I see they were originated out of Thunder Bay after coming from Colorado. Did they get to Thunder Bay by rail or by truck? Very confusing routing.
  by F74265A

I think it is for offshore installation
Part of the current government’s obsession with highly subsidized green energy
  by NHV 669

Nope, these are for in state projects. One is in Moscow, not sure about the other location(s).
  by eustis22

>Part of the current government’s obsession with highly subsidized green energy

Tell me you know nothing about the fossil fuel industry without telling me you know nothing of the fossil fuel industry.
  by F74265A

No need to insult me
I know an awful lot about the fossil fuel industry by the way including its tax advantaged status
My problem is green energy is being forced on us by the government in a spending blowout when in many cases it is just not as good
I will buy an electric car when they are better and more functional than gas cars.
Last winter a friend drove a Tesla in cold weather from central Massachusetts to Calais me— basically a 1 full tank trip with a gas vehicle. They had to stop and charge several times for 2 hours per stop bc electric cars suck in the bitter cold. They said never again. Not a unique story either.
To bring this back to trains, not a single train in northern New England uses green energy— it’s all diesel. Why might that be??
  by CPF66

F74265A wrote:No need to insult me
I know an awful lot about the fossil fuel industry by the way including its tax advantaged status
My problem is green energy is being forced on us by the government in a spending blowout when in many cases it is just not as good
I will buy an electric car when they are better and more functional than gas cars.
Last winter a friend drove a Tesla in cold weather from central Massachusetts to Calais me— basically a 1 full tank trip with a gas vehicle. They had to stop and charge several times for 2 hours per stop bc electric cars suck in the bitter cold. They said never again. Not a unique story either.
To bring this back to trains, not a single train in northern New England uses green energy— it’s all diesel. Why might that be??

I want to know what car could make Mass to Calais in one tank of gas. Because I always end up using 1/2-3/4 of a tank just from Holden to Calais due to all the hills on that route. Which to be clear, I don't support electric vehicles in any shape or form, I just want to point out that it takes a lot more than one tank to cover that distance.

As for the comment about green energy not being used, the Aroostook Valley was electric until the 40's and that power was generated from nearby hydrodams. The only reason they dieselized was because CP which owned them, was pushing for higher tractive effort units which is when they turned to tonners. You also have to keep in mind, had the Passamaquoddy Tidal Project been completed, there was going to be a freight railroad built between Eastport and Houlton which was going to be completely electrified. Either the Calais or Eastport historical society did a presentation on it years ago. The railroad never made it off of the drawing board when the hydro project got torpedoed.
  by NHV 669

G13 with 2240 leading smoked a semi/lowboy trailer at the Muskrat Farm Road crossing earlier today.
  by CPF66

It shouldn't be too surprising, that intersection sucks. Heading onto Route 1 its grown in on both sides of the crossing and even in a regular vehicle you can't see for a damn until you are almost on the tracks. FWIW CP has done a good job on the other crossings on the branch, but this one should have got a trim. Which really, with the amount of trucks which go on that road to the various sand and gravel pits, I am surprised lights haven't been installed yet.
  by NHV 669

A look at the scene:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by BandA

Clinton MA to Calais ME is 347 mi according to Mr. Google. So, a vehicle that gets at least 38MPG with a 10 gallon gas tank, in theory! Regenerative braking of a hybrid would help on hilly areas. A hybrid camry gets 44-50 mpg and has a 13 gallon gas tank, should make it on one tank ... 5:37 trip time... about 250mi on interstates then 100 on ME Rt 9. Honda Accordian should be similar...
  by NHV 669

CP Dimensional train DIM-011, windmill components #2, departed Thunder Bay,ON this morning for Searsport with KCSM 4650/UP 8066 and 30 KRL/QTTX cars.
  by NHV 669

DIM-011 was into Greenville Jct. at 18:30 with 8007/9762, 30 flatcars of windmill components.
Screenshot_20240607_185708_YouTube.jpg
  by NHV 669

DIM-11 power has changed to 3057, 2240 and 3048. They departed Brownville Jct. at 20:15.