• Stopping before entering tunnels

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

by Bucyrus6150

I was just wondering, is this a new "rule" or something for single track lines? Last week I was at the St.L&H tracks and the 3 trains that I saw all stopped completely before going through the tunnel. I thought the first one I saw stopped 'cause I was by the tracks taking pictures (never know what they tell 'em to do in this day of national security and terrorists) then the next day I went out and they had stop signs on either end of the tunnel.

by AmtrakFan

Maybe there were reports of rocks falling.

by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Maybe the train crews were counting the bums up under the bridge--or throwing them a bottle of water off the engines new refrigerators??? Thats what we do at Radnor yard----we call one bridge the Radnor Hilton--and I tell you what if gas prices keep going up----I'll be sleeping down there with them between shifts. Move over buddie I need to get 8 hours rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nashville Newbie
  by CSX Conductor

Bucyrus6150 wrote:the next day I went out and they had stop signs on either end of the tunnel.
You just answered your own question. The "STOP" signs designate the beginning of a section of track which is out of service for maintanence. Trains cannot pass this Stop board until the person in charge of the o.o.s. track (M of W foreman in most cases) has given them verbal permission through the work area.

If this was on a railroad which runs under NORAC Operating Rules, this is a Rule 135. On CSXT it is a Rule 89. :wink:

by Bucyrus6150

Ah, thats it! I wasnt even thinking, they are putting in some new drainage pipes and stuff in on one end of the tunnel and the equipment has to pass over the tracks there.
  by thebigc

CSX Conductor wrote: You just answered your own question. The "STOP" signs designate the beginning of a section of track which is out of service for maintanence. Trains cannot pass this Stop board until the person in charge of the o.o.s. track (M of W foreman in most cases) has given them verbal permission through the work area.

If this was on a railroad which runs under NORAC Operating Rules, this is a Rule 135. On CSXT it is a Rule 89. :wink:
Not Out Of Service but Obstructed For Maintenence. NORAC Rule 135.

by CSX Conductor

Forgot to edit my mistake earlier, rushing out the door. Thanks BigC, I stand corrected......after-all, I'm only human. :-)