Railroad Forums 

• Stopping before entering tunnels

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#162919  by Bucyrus6150

I was just wondering, is this a new "rule" or something for single track lines? Last week I was at the St.L&H tracks and the 3 trains that I saw all stopped completely before going through the tunnel. I thought the first one I saw stopped 'cause I was by the tracks taking pictures (never know what they tell 'em to do in this day of national security and terrorists) then the next day I went out and they had stop signs on either end of the tunnel.

#162968  by AmtrakFan

Maybe there were reports of rocks falling.

#163092  by NASHVILLE-NEWBIE

Maybe the train crews were counting the bums up under the bridge--or throwing them a bottle of water off the engines new refrigerators??? Thats what we do at Radnor yard----we call one bridge the Radnor Hilton--and I tell you what if gas prices keep going up----I'll be sleeping down there with them between shifts. Move over buddie I need to get 8 hours rest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nashville Newbie
 #163154  by CSX Conductor

Bucyrus6150 wrote:the next day I went out and they had stop signs on either end of the tunnel.
You just answered your own question. The "STOP" signs designate the beginning of a section of track which is out of service for maintanence. Trains cannot pass this Stop board until the person in charge of the o.o.s. track (M of W foreman in most cases) has given them verbal permission through the work area.

If this was on a railroad which runs under NORAC Operating Rules, this is a Rule 135. On CSXT it is a Rule 89. :wink:

#163276  by Bucyrus6150

Ah, thats it! I wasnt even thinking, they are putting in some new drainage pipes and stuff in on one end of the tunnel and the equipment has to pass over the tracks there.
 #163294  by thebigc

CSX Conductor wrote: You just answered your own question. The "STOP" signs designate the beginning of a section of track which is out of service for maintanence. Trains cannot pass this Stop board until the person in charge of the o.o.s. track (M of W foreman in most cases) has given them verbal permission through the work area.

If this was on a railroad which runs under NORAC Operating Rules, this is a Rule 135. On CSXT it is a Rule 89. :wink:
Not Out Of Service but Obstructed For Maintenence. NORAC Rule 135.

#163381  by CSX Conductor

Forgot to edit my mistake earlier, rushing out the door. Thanks BigC, I stand corrected......after-all, I'm only human. :-)