• Coast Starlight Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by danib62

Planning a ride on the Coast Starlight from PDX-EMY as part of my honeymoon this summer. We're connecting to a thruway bus to SFC. What is this connection like? Anyone have any experience taking it? Will they move your checked luggage onto the bus for you or do you need to claim it and DIY?
  by jbvb

Danib62: A year too late, info from many years ago: The bus ran from Transbay Terminal to the Oakland station. Used long-haul buses with luggage compartments below the seats. Quite straightforward, subject to Bay Bridge traffic but we didn't experience any delay. Don't know how it might have changed for the new (since 2018) terminal.
  by Jeff Smith

Trip Review: https://www.insider.com/amtrak-coast-st ... 022-10?amp
I took a $40 Amtrak ride through California, and the views were so stunning that I barely noticed the lack of Wi-Fi

I traveled through California by train in February. One unexpected highlight of my trip was the five-hour journey from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo aboard the Coast Starlight, an Amtrak train line that's been shuttling passengers since the 1970s.

I was only onboard for the first leg of the Coast Starlight's journey. The full route spans 35 hours from Los Angeles to Seattle. Here's what my trip was like.
  by John_Perkowski

Does not the Los Angeles Coach Yard have reserve sleepers, coaches, baggage cars, diners, lounges and locomotives?

Todays starlight is 2 1/2 hours late, and it hasn’t rolled past Mission Tower yer!