Railroad Forums 

• Coast Starlight Discussion

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1266815  by Backshophoss

Not sure how often a Surfliner car is open (used) on the Starlight,but they are rigged for Wifi as well.
Believe the LD trains are last in line for wifi. :(
 #1268600  by Rail Boy

Has anyone used the wifi in the Pacific Parlor Car? How spotty is it? I understand it is not an AmtralConnect brand.
 #1283057  by lensovet

Hi,

Recently booked a roomette on the Starlight from Seattle to San Jose. The ticket shows room 007.

Where exactly is this? Should I call and try to get something better? How is the scenery on this trip?

Thanks!
 #1283061  by Matt Johnson

Looks like a good spot to me.

http://trainweb.org/crocon/PLANS.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd recommend spending as much time as you can in the Pacific Parlour car! There's definitely some worthwhile scenery. I have some photos from my trip in this photo directory:

https://www.facebook.com/matthew.johnso ... 447&type=3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1283073  by lensovet

how does the parlour car work? can you just go in there and spend the whole day if you like?

btw, i have to laugh at the seat belt on the upper berth. traveled on many trains on the upper bunk, a flip-up bar to keep me there has always sufficed :P
 #1283078  by Matt Johnson

Yeah, as a sleeper passenger you're good to hang out in the Parlour as long as you like! The swivel chairs are the best - so comfortable! :) I don't actually know if it closes at night but there was no restriction during any of the portions of the journey when I was awake.
 #1283079  by lensovet

i was actually thinking it would make a great star-watching location – especially as you're going through the wilderness – if they turn off the lights at night but still let you go inside. guess i'll find out soon enough (going during the week of August 12)
 #1283108  by Gilbert B Norman

Mr. Lensovet, your comment regarding "stargazing" from the Parlour Car reminded me of a few anecdotes regarding Dome Cars during the railroad era.

The Baltimore & Ohio closed their Domes between Wash and Silver Spring; apparently they were concerned about the possibility that on a rainy day, someone could gat zapped, or at least scared, should there be an arc between the PRR wires and the Dome.

when the "who needs Domes" Southern Pacific took the California Zephyr as a detour over Donner Pass, the Domes were off limits as they feared potential liability from a timber falling inside a snow shed and cracking the Dome. Apparently this was not of concern to them with their half height Dome Lounges. They prohibited Amtrak from assigning short Domes to the Zephyr until they and Amtrak signed an Amended Agreement during 1974 regarding assumption of liability; then they didn't care.

But the best of restricted Dome use was on the Union Pacific. At about 10PM, the Coach Dome was off-limits until Sunup, for the good Mormons whose grandfathers worked to build the railroad were expected to sleep in their seats - and not "at the Drive In movie in a Nash Rambler".
 #1283141  by Mackensen

lensovet wrote:i was actually thinking it would make a great star-watching location – especially as you're going through the wilderness – if they turn off the lights at night but still let you go inside. guess i'll find out soon enough (going during the week of August 12)
My recollection from my last trip is that you get booted out around 11 or 12, but I couldn't swear to it.
 #1283157  by Vincent

Your room will be the best place for stargazing. The PPC will have too much ambient light, but you can make your room almost pitch black and the night sky will illuminate itself brilliantly. If you're travelling during a full moon, the mountain landscape at night will also be quite spectacular.
 #1430567  by Jeff Smith

Someone in another thread (I believe it was the Penn Trackword thread) mentioned there was nary any discussion on this news, nor was there a topic dedicated to the Starlight. I readily admit we have somewhat of an east coast bias here, and hope this rectifies that:

News: The Olympian
Amtrak quietly cancels Washington service to California after derailment

Washington State has been cut off from California after a bridge was damaged in a freight train derailment.

Amtrak’s Coast Starlight, its signature West Coast train, is running only between Los Angeles and Sacramento.

A Union Pacific bridge over the Sacramento River just south of Mount Shasta, California, was damaged April 25 when a freight train derailed. The Coast Starlight has been shut down north of Sacramento since then.

The closure is expected to last until mid-May, said Justin Jacobs, a Union Pacific spokesman.

“The structural integrity of the bridge was damaged by some of the cars during the derailment,” he said.

Read more here: http://www.theolympian.com/news/local/a ... rylink=cpy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1430569  by andegold

Does anyone have any current information on this? I am scheduled to travel on The Coast Starlight from Seattle to Emeryville on May 23. Also if anyone can give me any information about Room E in a Superliner that would be appreciated just so I know what to expect (what to prepare the wife for) regarding ride quality and noise. Thanks.
 #1430572  by John_Perkowski

Room E is upstairs, at the center of the car, next to the stairwell. It's my preferred room, as it's both quiet and comfortable. Frankly, I've given my (then) wife the berth, and spent much of the night up in the comfy chair, watching the world go by.
 #1430574  by John_Perkowski

Latest Service Alert
Amtrak Service Disruption between Seattle and Portland Continues
Train service suspended due to landslide

May 6, 2017
5:00 p.m. PDT

Amtrak Cascades service between Seattle and Portland remains suspended due to multiple landslides south of Tacoma, Wash. BNSF Railway, which own the tracks, has extended the moratorium, suspending all rail traffic in the area through Monday, May 8. Amtrak is providing alternate transportation. Normal rail operations continue north of Seattle and south of Portland to Eugene, Ore.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant.

Passengers with travel plans can confirm their train's status, change their plans or review refund information using a range of tools – including Amtrak.com, smartphone apps or by calling 800-USA-RAIL. Service Alerts, Passenger Notices and other announcements are posted at Amtrak.com/alerts.
 #1430576  by John_Perkowski

Seattle Times has same paragraph as the Olympian above. Recommend all travelling north of San Jose contact Amtrak, 1-800-872-8245 (USA-RAIL)