• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by photobug56

What I last saw of the A2 paint scheme looked like house paint dumped on a train sloppily and looking most ugly, worst paint scheme I've ever seen for new equipment in the US.
  by Matt Johnson

I definitely prefer the version in the early Alstom CAD renderings:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by daybeers

Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:29 am So where are we at vis-a-vis number of sets delivered, testing progress, and acceptance?
6 trainsets have been delivered. 7" cant deficiency testing set for sometime this spring, with the goal of 6 trainsets for revenue service by the end of 2023. https://ngec.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... uppert.pdf
  by Jeff Smith

daybeers wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:13 pm
Jeff Smith wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:29 am So where are we at vis-a-vis number of sets delivered, testing progress, and acceptance?
6 trainsets have been delivered. 7" cant deficiency testing set for sometime this spring, with the goal of 6 trainsets for revenue service by the end of 2023. https://ngec.org/wp-content/uploads/202 ... uppert.pdf
Thanks "Mr. Beers"! New to me, great resource. Salient points:
New Acela Update
-Additional testing was conducted up to 5’ cant deficiency, up to 165 mph was completed in late CY22
-Testing up to 7” cant up to 165 mph targeted for the spring of CY23 following successful validation of the revised dynamic model
-6 Trainsets are expected to be commissioned before launch of revenue service
-Serial Trainsets TS03, TS04 and TS05 have been delivered to Penn Coach Yard
-TS06 and TS07 targeted for shipment in February and March 2023 respectively
-Start of revenue service, targeted for late CY2023.
  by Gilbert B Norman

They've put together a nice coloring book, I must admit.

However, this NGEC outfit does not appear to have any official standing with anybody, so what they disseminate must be taken "with a few grains of NaCL".
  by bostontrainguy

Just because they can run at 7" cant will they??? Kind of crazy having equipment that can do something if they are not allowed to do it. We'll see I guess.
  by Acela150

daybeers wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:13 pm
6 sets have been delivered yes. However, 2 are prototype sets. Meaning little to no interiors are installed. These are for testing purposes. 1 went to TTCI and went back to Hornell, the other set is still in Philly. 3 production sets have been delivered and 2 of the 3 are in Philly. Not sure where the 3rd went.

I've heard some rumblings of more testing to take place in April.
  by TheOneKEA

I’m still hoping for a daytime test in Maryland - I still haven’t seen one in person and as far as I know they’ve only traveled down to Union Station and Ivy City a few times.
  by scratchyX1

TheOneKEA wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:17 pm I’m still hoping for a daytime test in Maryland - I still haven’t seen one in person and as far as I know they’ve only traveled down to Union Station and Ivy City a few times.
I saw one at Baltimore Penn Station at 11pm one night. It's quiet.
  by RandallW

I understand that Amtrak needs a minimum of 4 Avelia Liberty trainsets to bring them into service.
Last edited by RandallW on Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.