Railroad Forums 

• Acela II (Alstom Avelia Liberty): Design, Production, Delivery, Acceptance

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1622241  by TheOneKEA

How likely is it that we’ll see a “soft launch” of at least three of the Avelia sets in a Regional timetable slot? Considering how long these trains have been idled for testing and evaluation I could see the marketing department itching to get them into public use and the operating department concerned about breakdowns and delays and problems impacting the timetable if the Avelia are immediately set to work on an Acela timetable slot.

It seems logical to me that putting them into use in place of a Regional train will alleviate both sides’ concerns; it will allow them to finally start moving the marketing needle whilst also ensuring that any last-second problems caused by “contact with the enemy” that is regular diagrammed use don’t cascade into a massive breakdown of services.
 #1622248  by STrRedWolf

The question would be if they have enough personnel to run the trains. I don't see them running in a Regional but more of an extra slot for the Acela's until the teething problems are resolved.
 #1622253  by 8th Notch

TheOneKEA wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 5:08 pm How likely is it that we’ll see a “soft launch” of at least three of the Avelia sets in a Regional timetable slot? Considering how long these trains have been idled for testing and evaluation I could see the marketing department itching to get them into public use and the operating department concerned about breakdowns and delays and problems impacting the timetable if the Avelia are immediately set to work on an Acela timetable slot.

It seems logical to me that putting them into use in place of a Regional train will alleviate both sides’ concerns; it will allow them to finally start moving the marketing needle whilst also ensuring that any last-second problems caused by “contact with the enemy” that is regular diagrammed use don’t cascade into a massive breakdown of services.
We aren’t even close to seeing these things in service…. They haven’t been cleared to run over 90 mph in non testing moves for starters, and T&E training on them hasn’t been put into place yet minus a select few people that were given a basic overview to move them. Every set has to undergo burn in testing up and down the corridor as part of the acceptance process.