Railroad Forums 

• The Bell at South Kent School

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #1598786  by Gilbert B Norman

As likely many here know, a Southbound Camp train derailed at the North end of Hatch Pond in South Kent during 1940. There were several fatalities. An extensive article appeared in Volume 32 of Shoreliner Magazine.

When I matriculated at South Kent School during Sep '56, the School's bell was from an NH locomotive. As a student there until June '61, the "lore" was that bell was from locomotive 1307 that "took the splash".

Now at my 60th Reunion last week, I learn that there was conjecture whether that was the bell from 1307. The bell is affixed to a building about eight feet off the ground. Since at age 81, I no longer climb ladders, I could not observe the number engraved into the bell.

Now it was the incumbent Head of School to the rescue. He knew of the conjecture that the bell was from another engine that the NH had donated to the School. So, he standing about 6'4", simply turned the bell over where I could see and photograph the engraving of 1383. There is documentation establishing that was an engine wrecked during 1948.

So now there are two living alumni who know the origin of the School's bell. The Head of School (SKS '73) and I.