• Temporary NEC closure in NJ this morning -- "wires down"

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by rohr turbo

All NEC train service was stopped for a few hours due to 'downed wires' in Edison NJ after a car hit a pole. The 'wires' do not appear to be catenary judging by this picture from NJTransit's tweet.

If I'm interpreting the photo correctly, it appears the telephone pole at center was hit and is dangling. There seems to be sort of a 'catcher' wire that prevented the lines from interfering with the catenary. Probably put on quite a spark show.

Does make me wonder why in this day and age there are wires crossing the NEC strung from wooden telephone poles anywhere near roadways.

More info:
https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/live-up ... nd-philly/

"Amtrak temporarily suspended or modified all train service between Philadelphia and New York. "
"SERVICE UPDATE: Service has resumed between Philadelphia (PHL) and New York (NYP) after an earlier delay caused by downed powerlines."
Last edited by rohr turbo on Mon May 02, 2022 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Ken W2KB

BandA wrote: ↑Mon May 02, 2022 1:55 pm Wow, is that telephone pole being held up solely by wires?
Yes, the utility pole is suspended by the electric conductors attached to it. That is not unusual for a snapped utility pole such as this one.
  by Bracdude181

Is Edison under JCPL? If so that might explain why the wires are down! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Last edited by Bracdude181 on Mon May 02, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  by Bracdude181

That was a joke NY&LB.

Per the NJT Northeast Corridor twitter:

Northeast Corridor Line rail service has resumed with limited service following earlier Amtrak overhead wire issues near Edison and is no longer bypassing New Brunswick, Edison, Metuchen.
  by Ken W2KB

Bracdude181 wrote: ↑Mon May 02, 2022 4:51 pm Is Edison under JCPL? If so that might explain why the wires are down! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Edison is within Public Service Electric and Gas Company's electric service territory. PSE&G will in all probability seek compensation for the cost of repairs from the driver(s)/owner(s) of the vehicle(s) that caused the damage.
  by west point

NY&LB wrote: ↑Mon May 02, 2022 5:40 pm Not JCP&Ls fault that a car snapped a pole
But it is the fault of who ever owns the lines crossing the NRC tracks. It appears that the poles and wires are not guyed per the new national standards. The standards require that all crossing of roads and RRs must be guyed properly. Wires crossing under lines also guyed. Prevents a lot of poles snapped and wires down. It will not prevent all problems but certainly has worked here.

try to prevent wires into rivers and streams, on vehicles, bare RR track rails, and maybe stop higher voltage wires from hitting ground and electrifying ground.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Bracdude181 wrote: ↑Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 pm Caused by a drunk driver. His insurance pays? In NJ you need insurance to drive.
We ALL pay; only "live Free Or Die" New Hampshire, and for whatever reason, Virginia, do not require liability insurance.

Of course, Illinois and many another state have a minimum liability limit so low (IL $25/50/20) that effectively means no insurance.
  by Ken W2KB

west point wrote: ↑Tue May 03, 2022 12:06 am
NY&LB wrote: ↑Mon May 02, 2022 5:40 pm Not JCP&Ls fault that a car snapped a pole
But it is the fault of who ever owns the lines crossing the NRC tracks. It appears that the poles and wires are not guyed per the new national standards. The standards require that all crossing of roads and RRs must be guyed properly. Wires crossing under lines also guyed. Prevents a lot of poles snapped and wires down. It will not prevent all problems but certainly has worked here.

try to prevent wires into rivers and streams, on vehicles, bare RR track rails, and maybe stop higher voltage wires from hitting ground and electrifying ground.
The utility pole was indeed guyed, both to the ground to prevent it from falling towards the railroad, and additionally guyed to the pole across the road, as can be seen in the Google Maps Street View. In any event, with the pole snapped near the base, I strongly suspect that guying would not prevent the conductors the pole carried from sagging down and contacting the railroad caternary as apparently what happened in this event. Can you point me to the new national standard? Is it in the National Electric Safety Code? Or? I like to keep abreast of new developments in electric transmission and distribution. The pole to the right in this photo is the one that was struck by the vehicle and snapped. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.5303422 ... 384!8i8192
  by west point

Ken. Thanks for the google photo. The poles were guyed all directions possible that certainly followed the guidelines. The pole was completely sheared off so pole could go nowhere but straight down. That allowed the 7200 V lines to fall onto the CAT. Must have been a specular 30 second light show?

Note by another. Yes, put the 7200V lines in ducts under the NRC. That underpass is certainly not very safe. I would guess that the conduit should go under the dirt side ROW 5 - 10 feet outside of present abutments.

Power line engineer told me about standards so have no cite. However, observation around here shows all crossings now have been modified.
  by west point

Ken. Thanks for the google photo. The poles were guyed all directions possible that certainly followed the guidelines. The pole was completely sheared off so pole could go nowhere but straight down. That allowed the 7200 V lines to fall onto the CAT. Must have been a specular 30 second light show?

Note by another. Yes, put the 7200V lines in ducts under the NRC. That underpass is certainly not very safe. I would guess that the conduit should go under the dirt side ROW 5 - 10 feet outside of present abutments.

Power line engineer told me about standards so have no cite.

For those who know some primary lines are going to higher volts around here with 25 kV being the new standard. Now does that number sound familiar? If the transformers around you have a much taller profile they are probably 25 kV. Those of you on New Haven - BOS line will note signal case transformers have that taller look from the CAT feeders.. Backup power from utilities all seemed to have 7200 kV transformers.