Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

by ConstanceR46

Those two appear to have been Chessie hacks?

The ones immediately after were LIRR; one is #2, previously owned by OBRM but suffered greatly in storage, and the other is C-54.
  by Pensyfan19

Could it be C69 by any chance? Is that caboose still in service for the LIRR?
  by RGlueck

When did the LIRR purchase ex-Chessie cabooses? THose have nothing to do with the LIRR.
  by ConstanceR46

It's C-54 doubtlessly; it's the only one that actually got scrapped out of the three.
  by belpaire

This video is not from from this December. This guy keeps putting up this video and changing the date.

Look at 21:37 of this video he says is from August 29, 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0_ga0z5F24
  by nyandw

RGlueck wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:28 pmWhen did the LIRR purchase ex-Chessie cabooses? THose have nothing to do with the LIRR.
True, but it's obvious the LIRR hack I was inquiring about, yes?
  by ConstanceR46

The image you posted is of 2 ex-chessie ones, though. Am i missing something?
  by nyandw

I was told the hack in the center was ex-LIRR. If I'm in error, my apologies.
  by RGlueck

Why would a n LIRR caboose be painted in Chessie system colors and logo? I think you've been "had". I also believe the cabooses stored for eventual inclusion at OBRM were vandalized so badly, they too, were cut up. @2 was a real loss, being a steel ex-PRR design and a rare bird on the LIRR.
  by ConstanceR46

#2 was the only OBRM one; the rest were all LIRR-owned. I'd assume it was also the corrosion problems typical to LI; road salt and the like.
  by ConstanceR46

It would appear #1 is in front of it; where was #1 stored before eventually being scrapped?

But also it's probably pre-2000 or so because after that the garden city team yard got paved over.
  by belpaire

RGlueck wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:51 am Why would a n LIRR caboose be painted in Chessie system colors and logo? I think you've been "had". I also believe the cabooses stored for eventual inclusion at OBRM were vandalized so badly, they too, were cut up. @2 was a real loss, being a steel ex-PRR design and a rare bird on the LIRR.
Richard,

The image for the video is not of the cabin cars in question. Take a look at the video at the 23 minute mark. The still shot is rather misleading.

Roger
  by belpaire

ConstanceR46 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:21 am It would appear #1 is in front of it; where was #1 stored before eventually being scrapped?

But also it's probably pre-2000 or so because after that the garden city team yard got paved over.
This picture was taken just after I finished lettering it, I would guess 1996.

The car next to it is one of the N22’s the organization was associated with. #1 was stored in Hicksville.

Roger