Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1587358  by ConstanceR46

Those two appear to have been Chessie hacks?

The ones immediately after were LIRR; one is #2, previously owned by OBRM but suffered greatly in storage, and the other is C-54.
 #1587361  by Pensyfan19

Could it be C69 by any chance? Is that caboose still in service for the LIRR?
 #1587373  by RGlueck

When did the LIRR purchase ex-Chessie cabooses? THose have nothing to do with the LIRR.
 #1587579  by RGlueck

Why would a n LIRR caboose be painted in Chessie system colors and logo? I think you've been "had". I also believe the cabooses stored for eventual inclusion at OBRM were vandalized so badly, they too, were cut up. @2 was a real loss, being a steel ex-PRR design and a rare bird on the LIRR.
 #1587586  by ConstanceR46

#2 was the only OBRM one; the rest were all LIRR-owned. I'd assume it was also the corrosion problems typical to LI; road salt and the like.
 #1587680  by ConstanceR46

It would appear #1 is in front of it; where was #1 stored before eventually being scrapped?

But also it's probably pre-2000 or so because after that the garden city team yard got paved over.
 #1587727  by belpaire

RGlueck wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:51 am Why would a n LIRR caboose be painted in Chessie system colors and logo? I think you've been "had". I also believe the cabooses stored for eventual inclusion at OBRM were vandalized so badly, they too, were cut up. @2 was a real loss, being a steel ex-PRR design and a rare bird on the LIRR.
Richard,

The image for the video is not of the cabin cars in question. Take a look at the video at the 23 minute mark. The still shot is rather misleading.

Roger
 #1587728  by belpaire

ConstanceR46 wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:21 am It would appear #1 is in front of it; where was #1 stored before eventually being scrapped?

But also it's probably pre-2000 or so because after that the garden city team yard got paved over.
This picture was taken just after I finished lettering it, I would guess 1996.

The car next to it is one of the N22’s the organization was associated with. #1 was stored in Hicksville.

Roger