Railroad Forums 

• Weighing the Advantages of improving CP216 at New Rochelle

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1585860  by west point

Planning for these improvements needs to be very long rang. With that in mind an eventual plan needs to provide for complete unimpeded train travel New Haven line to / from NYP and NYG. With a final plan that may not be complete before 2150 -2170 any intermediate changes must not prevent the final plan from being implemented. That will include space for pilings for necessary future fly overs.

There may even be the necessity for a connection from the NYP to NYG routes.
 #1586017  by twropr

Back in 2004 when Metro North put in CP 215 and 217 interlocking, speed of Amtrak trains using the connection at CP 216 was increased from 15 to 45 MPH. At the time this was compromise between leaving the interlocking "as is" and building the flyover.
Andy
 #1586074  by Gilbert B Norman

njtmnrrbuff wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:47 am The future of CP216 is very important as within 4-5 years, Metro North will start running select New Haven Line trains to NYP
Mr. Buff, once upon a time, the New Haven did have a yard just East (vice North) of New Rochelle. I'm not sure what it was used for (our "New Haven hands" around here, such as Messrs. Nelligan and Weaver are no longer here to answer such) or if the property was ever redeveloped.
 #1586157  by electricron

When considering any advantage of improving rail infrastructure, we should always acknowledge who actually owns it. The NEC at New Rochelle is owned by MTA North, not Amtrak. The speeds of MTA North trains will never be as desirably fast as Amtrak's Regional and Acela trains.
Why should MTA North rebuild CP216 for Amtrak's faster trains when it is already fast enough for MTA North's trains?
 #1586168  by west point

electricron wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:03 pm The speeds of MTA North trains will never be as desirably fast as Amtrak's Regional and Acela trains.
Why should MTA North rebuild CP216 for Amtrak's faster trains when it is already fast enough for MTA North's trains?
Local Balkanization!

This is an example of I've got mine to heck with you. Here is proposal of what the Feds need to do. Just rell MTA MNRR that is you want funds to improve New Rochelle you need to build it for Acella-2 speeds. East of new Rochelle where possible thru New Rochelle the max planned speeds just south of New Rochelle.
 #1586170  by Train60

Tom V wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:11 pm Is this addressed in the NEC commission’s improvement plan for the NEC, and is a flyover being proposed infrastructure funding?
I just looked through the NEC FY2022-2026 Capital Investment Plan and the NEC CONNECT 2035 Plan. Neither document mentions anything about upgrading CP216 in New Rochelle.

The documents can be found on this link
https://nec-commission.com/documents/
Last edited by Train60 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1586200  by njtmnrrbuff

Bear in mind that I-95 runs alongside the tracks west of NRO so building a flyover there would involve having to build over a lane or two of I-95. A flyover at CP216 isn't even planned. I have seen and ridden many Amtrak trains on the New Haven Line between STM and NRO that use Track 2-track that connects to the center island platform at NRO so that way at NRO, they don't have to cross over Track 1(often a southbound track for MNR GCT bound express trains).