• Another Amtrak crash near Charleston South Carolina

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by STrRedWolf

R&DB wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:19 pm
#1583932 by MACTRAXX
Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:20 pm
Re: Crossing gates, theree are no crossing gates just overhead flashing lights.
Google Maps' street view says there are crossing guards... but there is a light nearby that given enough traffic, could present a situation where someone... non-attentive could stop on the tracks and be held there before the gates came down.

Plausible? Very. And yes, I'm leaving out a lot because my theory will probably be blown by NTSB. All I'm going to say is "You should of went to Waffle House to sober up."

Can't wait to see the NTSB report on this one.
  by STrRedWolf

kitchin wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:44 pm You can see the crossing guards on Google Street View. They weren't so visible in the news photos. https://goo.gl/maps/cHAdPi52Vc21vCYe8
Later news article without heavy paywall: https://www.thestate.com/news/charlesto ... 43651.html
Yeah, but still a paywall with The State. I don't mind a "light" paywall but when it becomes so annoying and gets in my way, I start looking for other sources.
  by kitchin

STrRedWolf wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:11 amYeah, but still a paywall with The State. I don't mind a "light" paywall but when it becomes so annoying and gets in my way, I start looking for other sources.
Hey, I just found out I'm a subscriber to The State (Columbia SC). I pay a couple of bucks a month for Scroll, which supports about fifty magazines and newspapers in the U.S. It's not the golden age of micropayments, which never arrived, but I'll spare you my rant about all that. I had some hope for Non-profit Journalism (NPJ), like ProPublica, partnering with print, but even that has broken down a bit recently.

If there were enough capital in the market for it, North Charleston could be a multi-billion dollar real estate deal for a raised city, like the ancient ones, or Chicago.