Railroad Forums 

• Another Amtrak crash near Charleston South Carolina

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1583802  by electricron

.https://www.yahoo.com/news/3-people-kil ... 40448.html
Fair use quote
"The collision happened just before 2:30 a.m. at the Remount Road Crossing in North Charleston. Police and firefighters found a vehicle "off the roadway with heavy damage" and a stopped Amtrak train, according to a North Charleston Fire Department press release.
Four people were found near the vehicle, three of whom were pronounced dead at the scene. One person was treated by firefighters and taken to the hospital, the fire department said. Their identities have not been released.
The train was carrying around 500 passengers. None of them were injured, according to officials."

Do you think at that time of day the Amtrak train was the Silver Meteor?
 #1583810  by STrRedWolf

electricron wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:18 pm Do you think at that time of day the Amtrak train was the Silver Meteor?
Open Street Maps says the Silver Meteor, the Palmetto, or the Auto Train; closest station is Charleston, SC.

Palmetto stops here at 7:19p in one direction and 10a in the other. Silver Meteor is 4:51a and 9:17p. That leaves the Auto Train...

...which arrives in Sanford, Florida in 8:58a. The Silver Meteor would arrive at nearby Orlando at 12:49p. That's... 8 hours... but that's with stopping along the route.

This likely is the Auto Train.

Charleston, SC's "The State" confirmed it's the Auto Train.

Reporting from WCBD: https://www.counton2.com/news/local-new ... -with-car/

3 dead, 1 injured from the hit SUV. No injuries or death to the train. Train delayed 8 hours.
 #1583812  by kitchin

Autotrain by the pictures on some news sites. Seems to be a busy area with a lot of at-grade crossings. I can't read this whole article without subscribing, but I get the general idea of it from the title. "Frequently blocked railroad crossings frustrate North Charleston residents, officials" https://www.postandcourier.com/news/fre ... e82e0.html
 #1583845  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: The title of this topic alone implicates that Amtrak is to blame for this tragic grade crossing accident...
The train involved could have been just as easily been a CSX freight train during the overnight hours...

The link to the Charleston paper repeatedly was interrupted by an obnoxious paywall - enough that once I was
able to determine that the Auto Train was involved - the auto-rack cars in the background of one photo -
I deleted the article. I have zero patience for this type of nonsense to read one article one time only...

I do agree that DWI may be a part of this accident - and that the driver's BAC should be recorded for any
possible further charges or any legal proceedings in the aftermath.

The note of 500 passengers (if correct) aboard the Auto Train shows good patronage on the route.
Any idea on how long the train was held and the resulting delay after the train was cleared to proceed?

This is a clear example of "Even if it's a tie you lose"...MACTRAXX
 #1583878  by STrRedWolf

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:23 am Everyone: The title of this topic alone implicates that Amtrak is to blame for this tragic grade crossing accident...
The train involved could have been just as easily been a CSX freight train during the overnight hours...
I do agree that DWI may be a part of this accident - and that the driver's BAC should be recorded for any
possible further charges or any legal proceedings in the aftermath.

The note of 500 passengers (if correct) aboard the Auto Train shows good patronage on the route.
Any idea on how long the train was held and the resulting delay after the train was cleared to proceed?

This is a clear example of "Even if it's a tie you lose"...MACTRAXX
According to Amtrak Alerts Twitter feed, it suffered a 7h50m delay and caused delays for future trains.

Of course, we don't know if the driver was killed or not. Only 1 person came out alive from the hit SUV.
 #1583911  by Gilbert B Norman

MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:23 am The link to the Charleston paper repeatedly was interrupted by an obnoxious paywall.... I deleted the article. I have zero patience for this type of nonsense to read one article one time only.
Mr. MAC, I'm sorry you have difficulty accepting paywalls. Media should have had them in place from "Internet Day 1"; the "ill-will" that you and others hold would have "never happened" had they done so to protect their copyrighted material.

An even stricter policy is on the horizon; The New York Times, for which I have been a paid print subscriber for some thirty years (reading it for now some 75) is limiting a subscriber to sharing ten articles a month. You can be sure that other publications, such as The Wall Street Journal to which I am also a print subscriber, will soon follow suit.
 #1583923  by STrRedWolf

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:11 am Well, the Russians seem to have the right idea; at least for vehicles.

Not saying anything for pedestrians:

https://youtu.be/OuZ7-mbm8uA
I doubt it would of helped if the car is stopped or parked on the tracks. Remember, 2am, SUV with 4 passengers, Friday night/Saturday morning? Yeah, it's likely the people were blandered.

Badgered.

Blunted.

Banjaxed.

Cabbaged.

Caned.

Chevy Chased.

Goosed.

Mullered.

Pickled.

Tanked.

Troll-eyed.

Wankered.

Wrecked.

Zombied.

Did I mention they were likely drunk? :grin:

Don't drink and drive (onto the tracks), folks.
 #1583932  by MACTRAXX

Gilbert B Norman wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:03 am
MACTRAXX wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:23 am The link to the Charleston paper repeatedly was interrupted by an obnoxious paywall.... I deleted the article. I have zero patience for this type of nonsense to read one article one time only.
Mr. MAC, I'm sorry you have difficulty accepting paywalls. Media should have had them in place from "Internet Day 1"; the "ill-will" that you and others hold would have "never happened" had they done so to protect their copyrighted material.
---Going off topic---
GBN: I have ***ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFICULTY WHATSOEVER*** accepting placement of paywalls by media sites.

I have been around the Internet long enough to fully understand that they are "part of the territory" or even a
"necessary evil" at times. Being reminded that I have five or less free articles per month is not any problem.
Even back during the early days of the late 1990s I was aware of "copyrighted content" and what that meant.

This Charleston, SC site interrupted viewing Kitchin's link multiple times - enough that once I was finally able
to see the previously mentioned photo with an AT autorack in the background I had then had enough - and
deleted the link. This paywall was far too overly aggressive to be further dealt with in my opinion.
I would NEVER consider subscribing to a site that treats introductory readers badly as this one did.

---Going back to the original Auto Train grade crossing accident topic: This incident would be a candidate to be
used by Operation Lifesaver especially if the investigation finds that signalling devices were working correctly
and any available video (the lead locomotive?) shows that the vehicle went around down crossing gates...
MACTRAXX