Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1580733  by CPF66

oibu wrote:Thanks for that info Greg s!

CPF66- hopefully that means something good as you say. From what I've seen posted here and there NMWA seems to still be usually a late-afternoon-ish departure from NMJ; Is it reliable what days it runs? Thanks!
WANM/NMWA are daily trains Monday-Saturday. WANM is OD at 2300 on Sunday night, and gets to NMJ between 0700 and 1000. NMWA goes on duty at 1100 at Waterville, and cabs up to NMJ. Normally they get out of town around 1430. Keep in mind every now and again the train times flip (so NMWA would go OD at 2300 and NMWA at 1100). Sometimes they only run one train a day due to power issues (They have only had a handful of runs in the past few weeks that went without a engine dying). Over the summer WANM/NMWA had been running as extras on Saturday, but they have been running consistently for at least a month, so I would say its now a 6 day a week job.
 #1580748  by oibu

CPF66- just to confirm, you are saying WANM/NMWA are each/both "normally" daily except sunday (i.e., no WANM Sat. night/no NMWA Sun. afternoon) now? Quite sure that for a time they were alternating, perhaps that was just covid-related. If it they are both running more or less 6 daysy that is certainly good to hear!
 #1580852  by CPF66

I forgot to add, that PRL has 4 more loads being shipped this week. The material is still being moved from Enfield to Dover to be run through a kiln (since Enfield has yet to get a new one after the original one burned which closed the mill), and it is also planed and packaged before being trucked back to Enfield. That should change in the next year, since PRL purchased a pair of used kilns, which will be rebuilt and installed at Enfield. I imagine they will need to have another track added pretty soon, if they are going to move all trans-load operations to Enfield.
 #1581335  by CPF66

OT-1 had a washout around Shaw Brook today (most likely due to the heavy rain over the weekend). MOW has been out working on getting the line reopen to rail traffic, for most of the day.
In somewhat related news; Pleasant River Lumber has either purchased or is in the process of purchasing two hardware/building supply companies (Ware-Butler and Crescent Lumber). Although it is unlikely that the product will ship by rail to these locations, its nice to see PRL expanding. PRL also owns A.W. Chaffee Trucking (Now A&A Brochu Trucking) in Clinton, as well as a new logging/forestry management company, which allows them to do everything from logging to selling the finished product in house.
 #1581355  by S1f3432

Here is a shot of yesterdays PORU at passing the former Lewiston passenger station at 1310
with 506-511-509 and 45 cars.
Attachments:
20210927_PORU_Eng506_511_509_45Cars_LewistonMEME.jpg
20210927_PORU_Eng506_511_509_45Cars_LewistonMEME.jpg (370.44 KiB) Viewed 2189 times
 #1584557  by BM6569

OCS was apparently out yesterday according to reports in the Pan Am FB group. Pretty sure I heard it heading back east around 4:45 in Lewiston
 #1584605  by CPF66

BM6569 wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:14 am OCS was apparently out yesterday according to reports in the Pan Am FB group. Pretty sure I heard it heading back east around 4:45 in Lewiston
That was most likely RUPO or DJ-1 you heard.
After the OCS cleared Leads, RUPO got as far as Merrill Road, because DJ-1 had run up to International Paper, and had some cars to switch at a metal recycling company, before they were going to run up to Fairgrounds to meet RUPO/run around the train.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1585446  by petahgriff8316

Currently sitting at Forest Avenue waiting for POWA to cross. I was really excited when I saw the gates down because I realized I was going to get my first POWA since moving to Portland. Then it freaking stopped in the middle of the intersection for five minutes and is now crawling 5 miles an hour. I know stuff happens but somebody goofed I’m guessing. I like trains but not enough to be waiting at a crossing while one is stopped in the middle of the road. Crazy thing was it wasn’t even that far into the train, four lead units and it was probably in the first 10 Eimskip containers that ended up blocking the road.

Addendum: Maybe I am missing something/an entitled Millennial (apologies/guilty as charged) but I just couldn't work out what they were doing. Is this more common than I realize? I saw the block was green a few minutes before when I crossed and they definitely weren't down as far as Read St., let alone CPF 194, and IIRC Amtrak isn't running through this weekend.