Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1579837  by CPF363

Did Nine Dragons Paper consider utilizing the Port of Portland for their export service? Why use the Conley Terminal on the south side of Boston, which as the article stated, does not have direct rail service instead of the Moran Terminal on the north side and more convenient to Pan Am's network to the north?
 #1579888  by Cosakita18

Is this containerized traffic? (Based on the fact it's going through Conley) If so, I would assume it's going on Evergreen's Panama Canal service to East Asia.

The Port of Portland used to handle a lot of break-bulk pulp and paper export through the Merrill Terminal, but that's almost nonexistant now.
 #1580050  by oibu

x2 for the question from a while back... would like to know current days/times for PORU/RUPO, WANM/NMWA, and POWA/WAPO. Had thought PORU/RUPO were close to daily, but maybe alternating sides every other day? Assume WANM is still mostly a night job and NMWA seems to still be out of NMJ late afternoons from what I see on the web, but what days? Presumably POWA/WAPO at least are pretty much daily?

Sounds like there are some teething issues and more work to do, but any signs of what is to come with Pleasant River service in Enfield or the much-awaited return to 'Keag?
 #1580083  by S1f3432

Last Thursday, Sept 2, I caught PORU west of Curtis Corner in Leeds about 1430 and the photo I posted
at Rileys was taken about 1700. The train has been operating east one day and west the next for quite
some time but there is no predictability as to the timing- I've seen the train tied down on the ML eastbound
at Rileys at 1400 and westbound on the ML at Livermore Falls at 1000. I have also seen RUPO at Danville Jct.
as early as 1330 and as late as 1700. There have also been times when I've photographed them at one
location and driven 4-5-miles to the next location only to wait quite a while and never see them again.
I haven't seen POWA-WAPO in ages and assume they are operating at night. There was a blip on the news
a couple of months ago about a car-train collision in New Gloucester at 0500 and I guessed that it was
likely WAPO, as I sometimes see a consist with intermodal containers parked on the siding east of Rigby
during the day.
 #1580384  by CPF66

I noticed a few weeks ago while chasing NMWA, that Pride MFG has cleared the brush from their spur/loading dock, as well as a good deal of track (which has been overgrown for a few years) on the east side of Johnson Flatt Road. Hopefully this means they will be getting rail service again, rather than removing the rail for scrap.
 #1580461  by oibu

Thanks for that info Greg s!

CPF66- hopefully that means something good as you say. From what I've seen posted here and there NMWA seems to still be usually a late-afternoon-ish departure from NMJ; Is it reliable what days it runs? Thanks!
 #1580524  by oibu

some web expeditions indicate that NMWA seems to reliably run Tuesdays and Fridays, presumably there is at least 1 more day per week? I think it used to be (as in, several months back) Sundays, not sure now but I would think they must have more than 2 trains each way per week?
 #1580546  by S1f3432

Some other posts in this tread have suggested that Waterville to Northern Maine Jct is all 10 mph
territory. Given the round trip is roughly 100 miles would a crew have time to make to complete
trip plus any switching or yard work along the way? The feed mill at Detroit is still an active customer,
not sure if there are others.
 #1580575  by oibu

Unless I am wrong, I do not think this would be an issue as I'm pretty sure NMWA/WANM do not operate as turns. Unless something has changed, I think it's one way per day, alternating days, 1 way trip (aside from possibly a highway deadhead) for the crew.

I'm jus not sure what the current days are or how reliable the pattern is from week to week, although as I said Tues & Fri seem to always or nearly always have an NMWA.