Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

by nomis

From both the Hartford Line and SLE Facebook Pages ...

by daybeers

NH2060 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:24 pm So... not much of a rebuild after a year and a half? 🤨
Seriously. And how much did this cost CT again?
  by dha10001

It's a photo of the exterior... what exactly can you judge about the mechanical overhaul from that?
  by robelybasis

842 and 843 left NH on Monday. They are currently on their way to Chicago where they will be put on Amtrak #50 to Beech Grove for rebuild.
  by johnpbarlow

Looks like a Beech Grove rebuilt CTRail Genesis is heading east on today's Amtrak 48 Lake Shore Ltd as captured off the Elkhart Live Cam at 12:42AM. Guess it will be dropped at Springfield this afternoon?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by Traingeek3629

From everything I picked up in those videos, it seems like after two years of "rebuild" all they really got was a shiny new paint job and maybe some maintenance work.
  by BandA

Was the work at Beech Grove only done when crews didn't have any Amtrak work to do? If so it would make sense for it to take months and years.
  by chrisf

Traingeek3629 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:28 pm From everything I picked up in those videos, it seems like after two years of "rebuild" all they really got was a shiny new paint job and maybe some maintenance work.
An in-kind rebuild generally does not change the external configuration of a locomotive, so unless you have x-ray vision, you've missed the point. All the specs of what was done is covered extensively in the PDF linked in the first post of this thread, and it's far more than just paint and maintenance.
  by CNJGeep

The one coming back should be the 6701
  by NH2060

Well they’re not smoking like old ALCOs anymore and they don’t look like they just came back from a paintball party.

So just that alone is a big improvement :stuck_out_tongue:
  by johnpbarlow

Looks like rebuilt CTRail Genesis got a ride all the way to Boston - seen here in the consist of 448 passing Palmer yesterday evening.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
  by twropr

What was the number of the unit that 448 brought into Boston on April20?
Has 6711 from last month been placed in service?
Andy
  by trainspot

Shops will usually give a lower rate to work on something on their down time. Strasburg for one & a few others I know of.
I came up yesterday hoping to see 6711, but we played cat & mouse, it was in & out of the shop not very far. Must be having an issue.
  by shadyjay

twropr wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:01 am What was the number of the unit that 448 brought into Boston on April20?