• Hoosac Tunnel Discussion & News

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

by Ridgefielder

Once you cross the MA/VT line you're in the Green Mountain National Forest. No way you're getting a permit to put a railroad through there even if you wanted to.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
  by Engineer Spike

NS got too rapped up in PSR, and didn't keep its eye on the ball. Now they are taking out signals on part of the former D&H. One rumor I've heard is that now NS is having buyer's remorse on taking over part of the D&H.
  by newpylong

Yep, not too many years after CP put them all in down there on the Sunbury.

Not a shot they would have made the purchase if given the chance again today.
  by ccutler

NS should really be trying to build their business into Massachusetts. "remorse" about buying the Sunbury line suggests to me a lack of leadership.
  by J.D. Lang

Unfortunately leadership has to bow to the powerful hedge fund stockholders. It's called job security.
  by taracer

It's over, NS had the chance to own. They'll make due with their trackage rights over the B&A.
  by mrj1981

Hi all - big-picture question for the group...

I know that the B&A and B&M both use tunnels to contend with the worst of the mountains as they head west out of New England. But, unless I am mistaken, the Rutland line (Bellows Falls to Rutland) crosses the same mountain range without use of a tunnel (and the CV does so as well, a short ways to the north). How are the two Vermont lines able to accomplish this without a tunnel? Is it simply a matter of the mountain range "petering out" as it gets further north? Or did the B&A/B&M endure the creation of tunnels as the price to pay for a straighter, flatter route (with the implication that the two lines in VT may be hillier / windier)?

Thanks in advance for any insights. This forum is a real gem in terms of the amount of knowledge that is thoughtfully shared.
  by Red Wing

All depends on where the notches are. Vermont got them Mass don't.
  by J.D. Lang

The only tunnel on the B&A is the very short one in Canaan NY. They climb the Berkshires on 1.5 to 1.8% grades to reach the summit in Washington MA. The PAS main follows the Deerfield river on a fairly level route until it hits the steep wall of the Hoosac range, Hench the 4.75 mile long tunnel. Also there's the short little Hoosac tunnel in N. Adams MA.
  by mrj1981

Right - as I look at it, I see Stateline tunnel is only 580 feet in length. Nothing close to Hoosac.

So really, the B&M is the outlier among these routes. For some reason, I was under the impression that Stateline was longer than it is.
  by roberttosh

VTR (former GMRC) has steeper grades than the B&A, pretty sure over 2% or even close to 3%. NECR doesn't have a true East-West crossing but runs more on a North-South axis.
  by neman2

johnpbarlow wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:19 am Q: can Hoosac Tunnel be upgraded to facilitate DPU operation? In my limited internet research on the topic, I couldn't find any technology that would definitively enable head end to DPU radio communications in a long tunnel that takes several minutes for a train to pass through. Thanks.
Found this on you tube----------------
  by taracer

mrj1981 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:54 am Hi all - big-picture question for the group...

I know that the B&A and B&M both use tunnels to contend with the worst of the mountains as they head west out of New England. But, unless I am mistaken, the Rutland line (Bellows Falls to Rutland) crosses the same mountain range without use of a tunnel (and the CV does so as well, a short ways to the north). How are the two Vermont lines able to accomplish this without a tunnel? Is it simply a matter of the mountain range "petering out" as it gets further north? Or did the B&A/B&M endure the creation of tunnels as the price to pay for a straighter, flatter route (with the implication that the two lines in VT may be hillier / windier)?

Thanks in advance for any insights. This forum is a real gem in terms of the amount of knowledge that is thoughtfully shared.
The B&A was built first, in fact it is the first mountain railroad in the US. They didn't have the tech to build a tunnel like Hoosac when it was built.
  by johnpbarlow

neman2, thanks very much for finding and posting that very informative Youtube video re: Locotrol DPU operation in tunnels! It will be interesting to see if NS/CSX think the Hoosac Tunnel warrants such an upgrade to support DPU ops.