Railroad Forums 

• Hoosac Tunnel Discussion & News

• Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,
Pan Am Southern (webssite: https://panamsouthern.com ) is jointly-owned by CSX and Norfolk Southern, but operated by Genesee & Wyoming subsidiary Pittsburg & Shawmut dba Berkshire and Eastern,

Moderator: MEC407

#1564995  by Ridgefielder

Once you cross the MA/VT line you're in the Green Mountain National Forest. No way you're getting a permit to put a railroad through there even if you wanted to.
Last edited by MEC407 on Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1565889  by Engineer Spike

NS got too rapped up in PSR, and didn't keep its eye on the ball. Now they are taking out signals on part of the former D&H. One rumor I've heard is that now NS is having buyer's remorse on taking over part of the D&H.
 #1565898  by newpylong

Yep, not too many years after CP put them all in down there on the Sunbury.

Not a shot they would have made the purchase if given the chance again today.
 #1565993  by ccutler

NS should really be trying to build their business into Massachusetts. "remorse" about buying the Sunbury line suggests to me a lack of leadership.
 #1566152  by mrj1981

Hi all - big-picture question for the group...

I know that the B&A and B&M both use tunnels to contend with the worst of the mountains as they head west out of New England. But, unless I am mistaken, the Rutland line (Bellows Falls to Rutland) crosses the same mountain range without use of a tunnel (and the CV does so as well, a short ways to the north). How are the two Vermont lines able to accomplish this without a tunnel? Is it simply a matter of the mountain range "petering out" as it gets further north? Or did the B&A/B&M endure the creation of tunnels as the price to pay for a straighter, flatter route (with the implication that the two lines in VT may be hillier / windier)?

Thanks in advance for any insights. This forum is a real gem in terms of the amount of knowledge that is thoughtfully shared.
 #1566182  by J.D. Lang

The only tunnel on the B&A is the very short one in Canaan NY. They climb the Berkshires on 1.5 to 1.8% grades to reach the summit in Washington MA. The PAS main follows the Deerfield river on a fairly level route until it hits the steep wall of the Hoosac range, Hench the 4.75 mile long tunnel. Also there's the short little Hoosac tunnel in N. Adams MA.
 #1566191  by mrj1981

Right - as I look at it, I see Stateline tunnel is only 580 feet in length. Nothing close to Hoosac.

So really, the B&M is the outlier among these routes. For some reason, I was under the impression that Stateline was longer than it is.
 #1566192  by roberttosh

VTR (former GMRC) has steeper grades than the B&A, pretty sure over 2% or even close to 3%. NECR doesn't have a true East-West crossing but runs more on a North-South axis.
 #1567461  by neman2

johnpbarlow wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:19 am Q: can Hoosac Tunnel be upgraded to facilitate DPU operation? In my limited internet research on the topic, I couldn't find any technology that would definitively enable head end to DPU radio communications in a long tunnel that takes several minutes for a train to pass through. Thanks.
Found this on you tube----------------
 #1567462  by taracer

mrj1981 wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:54 am Hi all - big-picture question for the group...

I know that the B&A and B&M both use tunnels to contend with the worst of the mountains as they head west out of New England. But, unless I am mistaken, the Rutland line (Bellows Falls to Rutland) crosses the same mountain range without use of a tunnel (and the CV does so as well, a short ways to the north). How are the two Vermont lines able to accomplish this without a tunnel? Is it simply a matter of the mountain range "petering out" as it gets further north? Or did the B&A/B&M endure the creation of tunnels as the price to pay for a straighter, flatter route (with the implication that the two lines in VT may be hillier / windier)?

Thanks in advance for any insights. This forum is a real gem in terms of the amount of knowledge that is thoughtfully shared.
The B&A was built first, in fact it is the first mountain railroad in the US. They didn't have the tech to build a tunnel like Hoosac when it was built.
 #1567489  by johnpbarlow

neman2, thanks very much for finding and posting that very informative Youtube video re: Locotrol DPU operation in tunnels! It will be interesting to see if NS/CSX think the Hoosac Tunnel warrants such an upgrade to support DPU ops.