Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
  by BoilerBob

I don't like to look at the pictures of 4800 in any of it's gaudy paint jobs over the Conrail years. I only like to see it in Brunswick Green or Tuscan Red. I'm afraid my eyeballs would fall out if I did.

by msernak

The old Pennsy colors are the best however I will take an Amtrak Platinum mist or PC black over nothing.

by Tom_E_Reynolds

Hi all,

Here is a great site on the GG-1. I love how they tell the story of its evolution from the P5a!

-tom

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/GG1/#survivors

by Centurylover68

GG1 #4933 is in fairly good condition. It would be a good choice to attempt to restore. I have run my hand along her flank where she sits on a spur out in the open. For being exposed to the elements she looks pretty good. I'd love to see her run. To raise money you could always pull a Clinchfield. Get her good enough to shove with some disguised diesels moving her. Then all you'd have to do would be get her able to run.
  by chuchubob

BoilerBob wrote:I don't like to look at the pictures of 4800 in any of it's gaudy paint jobs over the Conrail years. I only like to see it in Brunswick Green or Tuscan Red. I'm afraid my eyeballs would fall out if I did.
How about Conrail Blue?

http://community.webshots.com/photo/286 ... PqymLGTJvW

Bob
  by BoilerBob

Nope. Not even Conrail blue. Only DGLE or Tuscan Red. Maybe Platinum Mist. All colors are not PRR and simpli won't do.

Bob

by M&Eman

If they could replace the steam generator with HEP and a higher power prime mover or traction motrs wre put in to enable 125mph speed, a fleet rebuilt GG-1 would be a great compliment to the Heritage fleet for the NY based LDs.

GG-1HAC anyone? :wink:

by Tadman

We should have started a petition to style the HHP8 like a GG1. The HHP looks like a turd right now. It's too late to do much of anything right now other than a slow process of restoring a good one, like 4935. But that's going to be 10 years and >$1m.

by scopelliti

Here's a picture of 4933 taken in August 2004

by chuchubob

BoilerBob wrote:I don't like to look at the pictures of 4800 in any of it's gaudy paint jobs over the Conrail years. I only like to see it in Brunswick Green or Tuscan Red. I'm afraid my eyeballs would fall out if I did.
Attention BoilerBob: don't click on this link!
http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... 5_4800.jpg

Gaudy4800Bob

by JimBoylan

PRRGuy wrote:GAH, my eyes!
[about ConRail'sd Bicentenial GG-1] It must have been done very quickly, CR was less than 2 weeks old when that paint was pulling RDG MU cars to Trenton during a transit strike!
  by BoilerBob

I'm BLIND..................LOL

Really though, I like the GG1 no matter what color.

by MACTRAXX

Guys: Great group of GG1 posts as well as pics! I remember the Gs well-My dad was a veteran Pennsy man and I got my first cab ride ever on one as well as I became a fan of them-they are one of my favorite engines of all time-and how well they were constructed by PRR. With apologies to Charlie Daniels, they were the best that's ever been! MACTRAXX

by pennsy

Hi All,

The name of the game would be to obtain copies of the original, updated, engineering drawings for a GG-1, and then update them to 2006 standards. This would make it a GG-2, of sorts. All the latest modernization features could be added to the engine, inside and outside.