• Payment for onboard services-cash or credit card?

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

by Amtrak288

Amtrak's online billing comes out of Washington, DC as that's what it usually says when I get my credit card statement after buying tickets online. As far as using a credit card onboard, I've never done that, I usually just pay cash, as far as I know, you can't use credit cards in the lounge, at least I've never seen anyone try.

by C&O 15

I don't know, KarlJ - everything I've ever heard about it and everything I can find on the internet make it seem like a pretty firm Visa and Mastercard policy. Why would they make an exception for Amtrak? Here's another link to a credit card info FAQ.
http://www.creditinfocenter.com/cards/c ... #Question5

By the way, swiping is NOT required by credit card companies. There used to be (maybe still are) some small businesses that didn't even imprint - they just filled out the carbon form by hand. All Visa and MC care about is properly recording the name and number and getting the cardholder to sign. If Amtrak doesn't swipe or imprint on board, how do they record the transaction?

Note also that pre-approval is for the protection of merchants, but is not required by the card companies. If you as a merchant don't pre-approve, or get approval at the time of the transaction, you're taking a risk that the charge may not be approved when you submit it. But that's the merchant's problem, not Visa's or MC's.

If it's really true that Amtrak has a unique agreement with Visa and Mastercard that allows them to set a minimum purchase amount, maybe you could tell us how you know about it, and how Amtrak convinced the card companies to allow it.

by David Benton

Amtrak may not have a minimum purchase , they may just simply not accept credit cards in the lounge car , but accept them in the dining car , and for tickets .

by KarlJ

[deleted]
Last edited by KarlJ on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by C&O 15

My only point in posting was to say that Amtrak is not permitted to have a minimum credit card charge policy. Visa and MC do not allow any merchants to establish a minimum charge. Amtrak is a merchant. Therefore, Visa and MC do not allow Amtrak to establish a minimum charge. Q.E.D.

Several posters had said previously that they thought Amtrak might have such a policy. I thought it was important to correct this mistaken idea.

If Amtrak has some kind of special agreement with the card companies on other issues, that's all well and good but it is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.

If by some strange chance Amtrak's special agreement does allow it to establish minimum charges, I am willing to stand corrected. But I will be very surprised, and I will expect conclusive evidence, not just speculation.

Edit: I see looking back that cbaker checked the Amtrak policy, and they have a minimum for checks but not credit cards. I appreciate the correction. Regarding the lounge/diner question, I don't think it's a violation of V/MC policy to accept cards some places but not others. Airlines do the same thing - I've never seen anybody buy a drink during a flight with a credit card.
  by Gilbert B Norman

I "read somewhere" that "for the Duration" of COVID-19, Amtrak has become cash free. Only "electronic transfers", be they, credit, debit, gift, prepaid cards are being accepted for transportation or on-board service.

I realize "I go out of my way" to avoid the use of currency. "I HATE THE STUFF; it's sinister". The only cash I've used this semi-monthly Accounting period is $50 for a graduation gift. Next period will be $30 for a haircut (barber is "old school").

OK, so not everyone is "the accountant me", but really in the case of Amtrak, isn't it time to make this apparently temporary policy permanent? They'd just be catching up with the airlines and others in the transportation and lodging industries (good luck renting an auto or staying at a major chain hotel without a card).
  by Tadman

Agreed. In this age of pre-loaded debit or gift cards, anybody with $100 can have a $100 card that can be read by the major credit card systems. They sell them at CVS, Walmart, Walgreens, etc... No checking account or credit history needed.
  by SouthernRailway

On my recent trips, cafe cars have been credit card only. However you still have to use a pen to sign a receipt: that seems to defeat the purpose (avoiding contact) of using credit cards instead of cash.
  by bdawe

Some day, may you all enjoy the utility of contactless credit and debit payments, but the United States is generally the most backwards developed nation when it comes to small-value payments processing
  by Tadman

Agreed. I see a lot of TV ads for "contactless delivery" and "contactless payment", but then you have to sign something etc... Seriously?

Also I have been to Popeyes and the reality of "contactless payment" is bull hockey. The kids manning the window do not hand you your credit card back in a paper tray. Same with recent Papa John's delivery. Dude definitely go within my 6' radius.

I'm not complaining because restaurant workers have a raw deal right now and the contactless stuff is mostly advertising bs.
  by SouthernRailway

Why doesn't Amtrak allow payment by phone with Apple Pay or through the Amtrak app?

At least I think at CVS I can scan my phone over the self-checkout screen and I think it pays without contact.
  by Gilbert B Norman

SouthernRailway wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:24 pm On my recent trips, cafe cars have been credit card only. However you still have to use a pen to sign a receipt: that seems to defeat the purpose (avoiding contact) of using credit cards instead of cash.
Mr. SRY, pre or post-Covid?

If Amtrak still requires a signature, just ensure you have your own pen. Hate to think of who has touched those Petri Dishes otherwise known as currency.
  by dgvrengineer

I agree Amtrak should go cashless permanently. The tendency for cash to disappear would be eliminated and it should be easier for attendants to "cash out" at the end of their shift.
  by Arborwayfan

Payments are interesting from country to country. We sign for credit cards even when we do it online. In Europe and S. America, they have pins. In Norway they use an app called VIPS so commonly that churches post their number next to the donation box and people contribute to gifts and parties and whatnot that way, too. In Germany and Japan, not backward countries, people still use lots of cash. And if I could just log into my bank and make a payment to a friend in the US, no matter what bank they had, for free, I'd be happy.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Of course knowing Amtrak, if the on-board card reader doesn't work, they'll make it the passenger's fault!!! By comparison on United, I've been "comped" when the Attendant's card reader wouldn't work (I offered to give her my name and address so I could be billed, but she just said "it's on the Captain").

Reminds me of a restaurant in St. Anton/Arlberg, Austria where "it was my fault" their card reader didn't work. The check was €20, and I had to go to an ATM, which fortunstely accepted my card (don't think I'd ever used it out of town, let alone overseas), but the "service fees" were like $5 for €20.