• COVID SOP Modifications (Split from Consolidation of B Line...)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by Rbts Stn

I wonder if they are opening rear doors now, to protect the operator.
Last edited by CRail on Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by bostontrainguy

Rbts Stn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:45 am I wonder if they are opening rear doors now, to protect the operator.
Good question.

From the union: We’re concerned because members of the Boston Carmen’s Union who have been on duty have tested positive for COVID-19.

But opening the rear doors on Huntington Avenue has always been a safety concern so I would doubt it.

I thought they might be truncating the line at Brigham Circle which is often done, but just checked and they are running all the way. This line (E Line) is very important at this time because it serves the Longwood Medical Area.
  by BandA

bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:30 pm
Rbts Stn wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:45 am I wonder if they are opening rear doors now, to protect the operator.
Good question.

From the union: We’re concerned because members of the Boston Carmen’s Union who have been on duty have tested positive for COVID-19.

But opening the rear doors on Huntington Avenue has always been a safety concern so I would doubt it.

I thought they might be truncating the line at Brigham Circle which is often done, but just checked and they are running all the way. This line (E Line) is very important at this time because it serves the Longwood Medical Area.
[OT] Using rear doors may protect the operators a little, but not much.
  by Rbts Stn

BandA wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm
bostontrainguy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:30 pm
Good question.

[OT] Using rear doors may protect the operators a little, but not much.
If they rope off (plexiglass, yellow line, other barrier) the front 6-10 feet of the traincar that will provide some protection to the operator. Make it a rope or a line instead of something solid to allow for evacuation in case of emergency.
  by bostontrainguy

Some bus drivers have stretched the ADA seat belts across the aisle to keep passengers back. The union has told them to stop because it is a safety concern.
  by BandA

Prioritize testing the operators, since they come in contact with possibly 100s of people per day. I am okay with folding barriers, belts, or red velvet ropes repurposed from the closed movie theaters. Solid barriers and/or making sure the air flows from the (tested) operator towards the passengers. This is an emergency, so weighing the risks of coronavirus injury vs. not testing the safety of improvised barriers. Oh, [OT]
  by danib62

Somewhat off topic but if on the green line operators are only opening the rear doors how are they judging whether or not they're clear since the mirror is attached to the front door?
  by bostontrainguy

danib62 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:08 pm Somewhat off topic but if on the green line operators are only opening the rear doors how are they judging whether or not they're clear since the mirror is attached to the front door?
Can't really just open the rear doors because of exactly what you are saying. A possible solution would be to replace the cab doors with a plexiglass panel. I guess you could keep the regular doors open and place a temporary plexiglass panel across the opening.

Are fares being collected at this time? If so a small opening to allow Charlie Cards to be read is possible I guess.
  by typesix

Front door is still opened, but everyone knows to enter/leave via rear doors. No fares are collected on trolleys or rubber tired vehicles.
  by diburning

It depends on the stop. Since so few people are riding at this time, at most stops, the operator doesn't open the front door, but will pay attention to how many people are on the platform. Once the operator opens the rear doors, the operator will look in the cab mirror (which allows them to see the interior of the car) and count how many people have boarded, and then make sure no one is trying to get off before closing the doors. If the operator can't do a quick count of how many passengers are on the platform while approaching it, or if the car is crowded enough to not have a clear vlew (both of which are unlikely given the current climate and ridership), then they will open the front door to use the mirror.